Kerr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerr

Considering the recent thread relating to the Kerr London Armoury Company import revolver, I acquired a "JS / anchor" Kerr early this year. It's on display at my Civil War room in our Hendersonville, N.C. history museum. My early production Kerr .44 (really .45) I swapped-off to a muzzleloading gunsmith friend. Yesterday he range tested it: all five rounds in a palm size group at 25 yards. And that with 28 grains of FFFg, a #10 cap, and a .454 ball...no sneezer load.
    David Fox

Re: Kerr

Thank you, David for continuing the discussion of this weapon.

I have a lingering thought/memory that I cannot confirm at the moment that maybe you will know. Were the Kerr revolvers "problem-prone" and as a result have a less-than-glowing reputation?

I may be wrong with this and want to clear that up if so.

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark, I belive that was the Starr revolver.
      Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

No, I know the Starr had problems. I actually did a piece for "The American Shooter" on the Starr about 12 years ago and I am well aware of those weaknesses.

This has to do with the Kerr specifically. Maybe I just dreamt it. :confused_

regards,
        Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

I forgot that you did that. As far as I can recall the Kerr was made with the intent that the pieces could be repaired/replicated by a competant blacksmith if need be. That may be where the problems lied though.
          Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Hallo!

I am not sure whether to post here or on the other Kerr thread...

Yes, the early Kerr's were "prone" to problems due to their being double action. I have seen three or four in my time, all with broken mainsprings. Of course, whether that mainspring went in 1863 or 1963 is a harder question. Plus they are "finicky" being double actions, along with spring issues somethng Colt would experiecne with their M1877 DA Lightnng and THunderer series.

But, in brief and to over generalize... that may have been one of the reasons the British government was not too keen on the early Kerr's (which may have ended up helping Huse and the CSA). Anyways, Kerr redesinged the back action type lock mechanism to be single action which seems to have done the trick and it was considered/hoped that a Kerr could be repaired in the field without access to English spare parts- obviulsy a clever idea if it worked.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks Curt,

That mainspring breakage is what I had floating around in my head but could not nail down. Matt's response to the other Kerr post about the items sent to Jackson's Cav Div. was what got me to wondering about it.

Now, I can sleep at night once again.................

regards,

Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Quick Kerr question from one that has one but no reference on them. No JS / anchor but mine is in Navy or .36 caliber. Is this an oddity in this caliber ?
                Steve Sullivan

Comment

I lied in my initial post in this thread: the group fired by an original Kerr .44 yesterday was hand size, not palm size.

The common wisdom regarding the Kerr is that the sporting rifle style removable back action side lock would allow repair by a peasant on a flat rock. The especial problem was, however, as has been alluded to above, the springs. I note in the
                  "1,000 Kerrs" tread in this forum shows trigger springs were included in that shipment.

I've owned two Kerrs. The quality is obvious. These five-shooters are close to what we now accept as optimum for a combat handgun. Regrettably, based on my limited practical experience, Kerrs were hand fitted and interchangability is limited. The ones I've handled were all inoperable for one reason or another, even if otherwise in presentable condition.

The best information on Kerrs can be Googled by typing in "Why Kerrs?". Therein is a long, detailed article by Val Forgett, Jr. He was a major collector over many years and, among other things, discusses the inquiry concerning .36 calibre models, some with Southern associations, as I recall. Forgett makes two interesting assertions: first, that although not all Confederate Kerrs bear the inigmatic "JS/anchor" stamping, all "JS/anchor" Kerrs are Confederate contract pieces. Second, Forgett notes Yankee Kerrs...a few were purchased from London Armory early in the war and numbers were likely seized from Rebel blockade runners and, like intercepted Southern Enfields and accoutrements, were almost certainly issued-out to Federal troops.

For what its worth, my "JS/anchor" Kerr came out of Detroit(!) from an owner, now deceased and thus unavailable for debriefing, who had moved there from Texas.
                  Last edited by David Fox; 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM.
                  David Fox

Comment

I did the work on Dave Fox`s Kerr as well as the one I now own, priviously in his collection. Don`t believe the story that Kerr`s were designed with the removable back action lock in order that any competent gunsmith could repair one!!! I consider myself competent and I have indeed made a mainspring, several trigger springs, several screws, and a couple of other parts. They are extremely precise and very, very, difficult to make. I also agree with Daves premise that most Kerrs around today seem to be inoperable for one reason or another. The weakest link appears to me to be the trigger springs first and the mainsprings second. Mine shoots very well and I consider myself fortunate to be among the probable handfull of people who have had the pleasure of shooting an original Kerr revolver. Accuracy was very acceptable; loading was a cinch, no misfires, a pleasure all the way around. I like them very much and would love to own another should occasion ever allow. Wayne Spears, Boiling Springs, S. C.

Comment

Working...
                    X