Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of a Company

All,

I have searched online (including this forum under various key words), through my manuals, and my secondary resources but I still can not find any answer, thus I post to the forum members.

How many yards would the front of 1, 100 man company take up while in line of battle?

Thanks!
    Bill Backus

Re: Size of a Company

For practical purposes 100 feet. Figure 2 foot per man so in two ranks it's 2 x 50 or 100 feet. Present day folks may be a bit wider than the original gentlemen, and different manuals/references vary slightly but that's a pretty reliable rule of thumb.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

According to Colonel H. L. Scott's Military Dictionary of 1861, under the definition of a File on page 299, it says "each man in line occupies about 21 inches".

So, for a full strength company of 100 (4 officers, 4 sergeants, 8 corporals, and 84 privates) in 47 files would have about a 27.4 yard frontage. I included the Captain and First Sergeant in the line with rest of the officers and sergeants as file closers.
      Keith Kosek

1st Minn, Co. A

http://www.firstminnesota.org/

“The beautiful thing about the truth is, the truth requires your questions. Therefore, there is no competition in art.” - Gary Busey

Comment

Mr. Kosek is of course correct about the detailed analysis of the company numbers (except it's five sergeants and the eight corporals seem to be gone by 1855 HARDEES - that's more of a three rank thing), I was giving a more quick general rule of thumb - 1,000 men is 1,000 feet, etc. SCOTT'S MILITARY DICTIONARY does give 21" but I've also seen 20", 24" & 28". 24" seems like a good average and is easier to do the math for in your head. MacDougal gives it as a "rule of thumb".
        John Duffer
        Independence Mess
        MOOCOWS
        WIG
        "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

For what's its worth, I've used the same rule of thumb as Duffer. Simple math is much easier for my old brain.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
          X