Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you name that famous person's horse??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you name that famous person's horse??

Greetings,

In my recent readings, I seem to come across authors who reference their horses. Having never owned one myself, there seems to be a developed relationship that people have with their rides that is generally characterized as friendly, loving, and important.

I was wondering how many other people knew the names of the horses of the more notable personalities of the war and when/where they rode them? So far, I have this:

Edward Porter Alexander -- Dixie (1861-), Meg Merrilies (1861-)
    Belle Boyd -- Fleeter
    Benjamin Butler -- Almond Eye
    Patrick Cleburn -- Dixie (Perryville)
    Richard Ewell -- Rifle
    U.S. Grant -- Jack (Chattanooga), Fox (Ft. Donelson, Shiloh), Kangaroo and Jeff Davis (Vicksburg), Cincinnati (-1878), Egypt (January 1864)
    Joseph Hooker -- Charger, Lookout
    Thomas. J. Jackson -- Little/Old Sorrel (Harper's Ferry 1861)(on display at VMI, ick.)
    Albert Sydney Johnston -- Fire-eater
    Philip Kearny -- Monmouth, Moscow, Decatur (Seven Pines), Bayard (Seven Pines)
    Fitzhugh Lee -- Nellie Gray (3d Winchester)
    R.E. Lee -- Traveller (1862-1871), Grace Darling, Brown Roan, Lucy Long, Ajax, Richmond
    George B. McClellan -- Dan Webster (Peninsula Campaign), Burns (Antietam), Kentuck
    George G. Meade -- Baldy (September 1861-1882)
    John Sedgwick -- Handsome Joe
    Philip Sheridan -- Rienzi (1862-1878)
    William T. Sherman -- Duke, Dolly (Collierville), Lexington (Atlanta), Sam (Vicksburg, March to the Sea)
    Daniel Sickles -- Grand Old Canister
    J.E.B. Stuart -- Highfly, Virginia, My Maryland
    George H. Thomas -- Billy (1862-1864)
    Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 11-28-2011, 11:06 AM. Reason: Added additional dates
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Re: Can you name that famous person's horse??

I know George Pickett had two horses he used. His warhorse was Old Black, a big black mare that would let no one but General Pickett mount her. His other horse was Lucy, a little thoroughbred he used for social calls.

I'm looking for some dates and mor information, but there's a start for you!

P.S. Little Sorrell who was originally bought for Anna Jackson was at first called Fancy. But because that wasn't a suitable name for a warhorse the men called him Little Sorrell and Old Sorrell and it stuck!
    -Rachel M Zaborowski

Comment

Jason,

I'm almost certain that at least one book has been written on this subject. I know of at least two people who started such a list as yours, and it turned into additional potential book projects as well. I'd recommend checking Amazon, or perhaps Google books.

Yes indeed, riders often do form very strong bonds with their animals, and every cavalryman, either real or reenacted can tell you legions of stories about horses they've known and loved.

Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

Jason,

I have a book on this at the house. When I get home from the salt mines, I will pm you the particulars so you can order.

regards,
        Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Patrick Cleburne-Dixie
          Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Jason,

There is a book by Sue Cottrell, entitled, "Hoof Beats North and South", that discusses horses and horsemen of the WBTS. It is not exactly on a par with "War and Peace" but it is pretty informative and an easy read.

About 10 years ago I put together a presentation that I used when asked at various civic and historical gatherings (ie. Lions, Rotary, SCV, UDC, SAR, etc.), entitled, "The Impact of the Horse on the 18th & 19th Centuries" and in it I gathered a sizable list of the names of these mounts and their famous masters. It also delved into the relationship that you allude to. Said relationship truly transcends just a partnership or whatever when one views it through the eyes of history and the facts that almost every facet of their lives were touched by the horse. Not only as a "pet" or "companion" but the usage of the horse, in many cases, impacted the location of their residence, the type of structure in which they lived, the vocation they settled on, transportation in general and specific, net worth and wealth and a host of other aspects of their life. In many ways, we do the horse an injustice to compare it equally to the modern automobile or even more broadly, the internal combustion engine. In its day and time and setting, it was more.

regards,
            Mark
            J. Mark Choate
            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Col. Turner Ashby, his favorite white horse "Tom Telegraph".
              Steve Tyler

Comment

Sheridan's Horse Rienzi (later Winchester) was also mounted ala Little Sorrel and resides in the Smithsonian Museum of National History in DC.
                Mike Schramm

Just another FARB trying to get better.

Comment

What about Forrest ??? There must be records on his horses???
                  Rod Miller
                  [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                  A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                  1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                  1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                  1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                  1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                  Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                  1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                  Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Forrest's most famous steeds were Roderick and King Phillip. Also rode one named Highlander for a while.

Roderick is the one that the famous poem which was in the Nashville Tennessean paper was about and he is buried in Thompson Station, TN. complete with headstone and marker.

regards,
                    Mark
                    J. Mark Choate
                    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

You can always take a Segway tour of Gettysburg and ride one of those famous Horses once again...;) LOL

"Each Segway in our fleet is named after a horse that served in Gettysburg"
                      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I took interest in this thread and started looking through the Library of Congress images to see what photographs were out there of the named horses mentioned in the earlier posts of this thread. The following posts are a selection of some that I have found.

Afterall, a picture is worth a thousand words. If seeing the photographs of the named horses produces more research discussion and value, I am all for it.
                        Matthew Semple

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grant - Egypt, Cincinnati, Jeff Davis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	222704

Title: Cold Harbor, Virginia. U.S. Grant's horses: on left, EGYPT, center, CINCINNATI, right, JEFF DAVIS
                          Date Created/Published: 1864 June 14.
                          Medium: 1 negative (2 plates) : glass, stereograph, wet collodion.
                          Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-cwpb-01695 (digital file from original neg. of left half) LC-DIG-cwpb-01696 (digital file from original neg. of right half)
                          Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
                          Call Number: LC-B811- 2429
                          Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
                          Matthew Semple

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Meade - Baldy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	222705

Title: Culpeper, Virginia. Gen. George G. Meade's horse, "Baldy"
                            Date Created/Published: [1863 Oct.]
                            Medium: 1 negative : glass, wet collodion.
                            Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-cwpb-03781 (digital file from original neg.)
                            Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
                            Call Number: LC-B817- 7370
                            LOT 4172-F
                            Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
                            Matthew Semple

Comment

Matthew,

Thank you for your post and the photos. I have seen shots of all of those horses before with the exception of "Egypt". I don't recall ever seeing his pict before.

Ironic that the one photo was taken at Cold Harbor. Probably Grant's darkest hour as he had just sacrificed thousands to Lee's enfilade fire.

regards,
                              Mark
                              J. Mark Choate
                              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Working...
                              X