Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you name that famous person's horse??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you name that famous person's horse??

Not being limited to just military famous personages:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Babcock - Gimlet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	222706

Title: Maryland. John C. Babcock, a Secret Service man and Gimlet, a celebrated war horse of the Rappahannock.
    Date: 1862 Oct.
    Medium: 1 negative: glass, stereograph, wet collodion
    Notes: Caption from negative sleeve: Gimlet, a celebrated war horse of the Rappahannock. Oct. 1862. Corresponds to print is in LOT 4172-F.
    Rights: No known retrictions on publication.
    Call Number: LC-B815- 643
    Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-cwpb-00293 DLC (digital file from original neg.)
    Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
    Matthew Semple

Comment

Originally posted by Choatecav View Post
      Matthew,

Thank you for your post and the photos. I have seen shots of all of those horses before with the exception of "Egypt". I don't recall ever seeing his pict before.

Ironic that the one photo was taken at Cold Harbor. Probably Grant's darkest hour as he had just sacrificed thousands to Lee's enfilade fire.

regards,
      Mark
      Mark,

I had never seen a photo of "Egypt" either until I came across the group shot of all three. I wonder if a photo of "Egypt" standing alone was made like the ones for "Cincinnati" and "Jeff Davis". If it was, I have not been able to find one and would love to see the more detailed shot.
      Matthew Semple

Comment

Matthew,

I would agree. Although the shot that you have shown is a really nice profile shot of the old boy.

thanks again.

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Working...
        X