Musket Guts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musket Guts

For any gunsmiths on the board... can you list for me the parts I'll need to restore an Enfield? Someone gave me a stock and barrel, but the "guts" are missing. By guts, I mean the lockplate, hammer and the inards behind the lockplate. The trigger and trigger guard, barrel, nipple, and ramrod are all that's there. I know Zimmerman defarbs weapons and Lodgewood sells the parts, I'm just not sure what those parts are called. Can anybody help or send me to a resource that can?
    Larry Morgan
    Buttermilk Rangers

Re: Musket Guts

Lodgewood sells(sold) complete locks and at least used to have an exploded view with parts numbered. I've haven't been to their site in a while.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Be prepared...Parts for an original Enfield leave a lot to be desired in the area of interchangeability. As John said, it would be best to find a complete lock, but even then don't expect it to simply drop into place unless you get lucky and all the planets and stars are in perfect alignment.
      Paul McKee

Comment

It's not an original, it's an old repopped Euroarms that was defarbed long ago and the previous owner cannibalized the defarbed lock assembly to put on another weapon. I'll see if Lodgewood still sells parts that will fit an Euroarms and go from there. Thanks. Does anyone know who would tackle repairing an original English shotgun? I think the spring and tumbler are bad in it and will probably need machining.
        Larry Morgan
        Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Hallo!

-Hammer
          -Hammer Screw
          -Lockplate
          -Mainspring
          -Bridle
          -Bridle Screws (2)
          -Tumbler
          -Tumbler Stirrup
          -Sear
          -Sear Spring
          -Sear Spring Screw

That is the easy side of the equation.

What is harder is that if a reproduction there are more than one maker, and over the years the Italians have changed production details so that say a Euroarms mainspring from 1986 may not fit on Euroarms lockplate from 2006.

And the hardest of all is, original Enfields. While say British Goverment's RSAF and also London Armoury 4th Model P1853's had interchangable parts, the ACW used BSAT and London Commercial 3rd Models did not. So, parts from one BSAT firm may not fit a lockplate from another's. Etc., etc.

Anyways, whether repro or original, "parts" are not always just "parts."

If he still does it, Bill at Lodgewood used to suggest sending the lockplate so that he can try to fit parts from is inventory. Or catch him at a gun show.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Excellent advice, thanks. I got in touch with Lodgewood today. Now, for question #2... does anyone know a reputable gunsmith who will work on an original English double barrel? One barrel works fine, the other has a tumbler/spring issue.
            Larry Morgan
            Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Working...
            X