Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amana Woolen Mills blankets

Hello Fellow,
    does anybody of you have a blanket form Amana Woolen Mills? I am wondering about the quality and most of all weight of their civil war balnakets( grey and tan ones).
    As far as I could see from the pics the grey and tan blankets do not have any shoddy material in them but they are 100% wool and in 2/2 twill weave. The edge binding is machine made and therewith wrong but besides that they do not look bad.
    I know that S&S offers very good blankets from FHW but I am serching for an alternative for a comrade whose purse is not that thick.
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Re: Amana Woolen Mills blankets

He may as well save a little longer and cry only once. Especially since he is paying international shipping. Why buy a cheeper blanket and have to buy a better blanket later? Blankets don't really go bad. I have had the same County Cloth blanket I bought in 1993.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Robert, the core of your message is clear but does not answer my question about the Amana blankets.
      In this very case I guess he is only a guest in this period for a certain time so he needs to look at his funds.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Having examined an Amana blanket in their showroom, I would say that they are better quality than sutler row blankets, but only in the fact that Amana tends to make fine goods for home use. While the colors are typical for what I have seen sutlers carry, if I remember correctly, if your friend were to purchase one of these blankets, he'd have something nice enough to use at home, should he choose not to pursue Civil War era living history. They're nice blankets, but they're made to be nice blankets.

My opinion only, after too many weekends of eastern Iowa tourism. (Are you bored? Let's go to the Amanas!)
        Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
        My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I live a couple of hours south of the Amana Colonies, in eastern Iowa and can tell you that they have been famous for their woolen mills since before the Civil War. This is an Mennnonite German colony and their crafts and woolens are the finest qaulity. Your friend would have a very fine wool blanket that most likely is of the same technique of the mid 19thc.
          Vivian Murphy

Comment

Thank you for the comments. Aynbody else who has seen their blankets? I wonder how much they weigh.
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

I have seen them myself and IMHO they seemed a little light. Nice blanket, but something just didn't feel right to me about it. It definitely was less than 5lbs but that was going by my arms as a scale.
              William D. O'Malley IV

Comment

They told me they weigh 4 lbs. Few authentic blankets out there really weigh 5lbs.
                Jan H.Berger
                Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

I live about ten miles from the Amanas. While I have seen their blankets I have never gotten one. I have a nice Weisert from the 90's. I have gotten some socks from them in the past. If you want me to go out there I could in the next couple of weeks. I am sure my girls would like to road trip.

Also, Vivian they are not Mennonites. Many people think that. The Mennonites settled around Kalona. My best friend is Mennonite and we have had this conversation many times. Actually he even thought they were Mennonites. They were followers of the religious movement of Pietism. I haven't been there in years. In my opine their food(which is why most people here in Iowa went there) began to stink around the mid 90's. Hope all is well!!
                  Nathan Hellwig
                  AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                  "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Not to change the direction of this thread, but I did grab a muffler from the mill last time I was there. It is a red and brown woven muffler just like one of their blankets and is really top shelf for the cold weather. I use it for cooler events along with life outside the hobby and it only cost me about $15 if I remember correctly. I didn't think the food was all that bad there and have yet to find any better kraut closer to me then Chicago. Then again, I eat almost anything put in front of me. :p
                    William D. O'Malley IV

Comment

The food was much better 25 years ago. Trust me...
                      Nathan Hellwig
                      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Would some their blankets be correct to use? I'm thinking about getting one of their plaid blankets.
                        Thanks,

Noah Smith

Comment

Noah,

Have a look at this:

In my opinion... No. Buy a Civil War blanket... Their plaid blankets are why we used to call "Football Blankets" because we'd take them to the local football fields on chilly fall Friday nights.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                            Noah,

Have a look at this:

In my opinion... No. Buy a Civil War blanket... Their plaid blankets are why we used to call "Football Blankets" because we'd take them to the local football fields on chilly fall Friday nights.
                            John,

I know you included a link to the 'other' discussion - but one item I see conspiculously missing in both this thread and the other is a proper treatment of appropriate blanket styles, descriptions of originals (including weight variation, colors, and most importantly examples.

Case: out of all the KNOWN surviving blankets/ blanket fragments what styles are represented, military applications are 'easy' but what about civilian? What about contemporary artwork, what style blankets are evidenced there? While it may certainly be true that 'plaid' blankets are not appropriate - we've not done justice in either of these discussions to show how they are neither P.E.C. (Per Everyday Common), nor un-authentic.

This stuff often gets battered around...the discussion of dyes, colors, weights, patterns...but to get back on track with the Spirit of the AC - let's start compiling....GASP...research.

Thoughts?

Paul B.
                            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                            (Loblolly Mess)
                            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Nathan and all, thanks for the comments. I will have a lok at one myself. Thank you!
                              Jan H.Berger
                              Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Working...
                              X