Re: 1855 Harper's Ferry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1855 Harper's Ferry

I am not sure what is the deal here at the AC,(these things do not seem to hoppen on any of the other Living History sites!), but atleast a half dozen times now posters just never answer back. EXAMPLE: Before the holiday I posted a WTB for a pattern, a gent said he had one and asked for my e-mail, I sent e-mail by PM and even posted here for all to see....... but no reply???? Others ask for items. I reply that I have it, from a top-of-the-line maker, in new/never used cond., and are willing to ship on my dime, at a 20% reduction from makers price.......I get "can you send me a dozen pictures?" Then after an hour has been wasted...... no replky...... well, maybe a year later "Do you still have that Cart. Box for sale?". Or my favorate, you see a WTS and respond w/in an hour of the post...... a week later you get a general reply that the item is "on hold" awaiting payment....... to a member on his friend list.

"It's been over two years since this was posted." It was posted just over a year ago, the notice it was sold was less than a year ago.

Steve Tyler
    Steve Tyler

Hallo!

"I am not sure what is the deal here at the AC,(these things do not seem to hoppen on any of the other Living History sites!), but at least a half dozen times now posters just never answer back."

IMHO, you have been fortunate, as in my experience what you describe is common on all of the forums- 18th, 19th, and 20th century ones I am on.

I don't know. Sometimes I think it is just curiousity asking for pictures, passing interest in asking for details, potential buyer's remorse, anticipated income not coming in as planned,
    items needing to be sold to finance a new purchase that don't get sold, or a wife or SO getting wind of a purchase whou says.. You are buying WHAT? Oh no you don't.)
    Or you go to buy something and do not hear back from the seller because it was sold or he got a higher price than what he agreed to sell it to you for.
    Or a buyer finds something cheaper and buys hta tinstead in silence or secret.

And on the cynical, jaded side, sometimes folks do stuff, because they can... And the more one sells and buys, the more one runs into more people and earns more stories about less than ideal buys or sales.

This week, a gun I had been holding for a lad for a month while he sells another to buy it told me he just bought something else. And in a week I have not heard back from a seller I talked with buying his gun.

An Imperfect World, where at least the common courtesy of a reply would be appreciated.

Curt

(Oh, the AC encourages sellers to close out their WTS posts. And the moderators will often close out ones they come across and know about. Or a seller will ask for one to be closed.)
    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 12-28-2011, 01:14 PM.
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

How true........how true!

"Into each life, some rain must fall.............!" :wink_smil

"(Oh, the AC encourages sellers to close out their WTS posts. And the moderators will often close out ones they come across and know about. Or a seller will ask for one to be closed.)"

On a more practical side, it is incumbent upon the seller to close the site out or let the mods know. We all must clean up after ourselves.

regards,
      Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hallo!

Indeed...

And my compliments for asking the mods to close your WTB post on the other board.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X