Good Shiloh Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Shiloh Book

During these winter months, I was hoping to read a good book on Shiloh it preparation for the upcoming event. I have already read Cyrus Boyd's book and am aware of Shiloh Bloody April by Wiley Sword (although I'm not sure if it's any good), but I was wanting to get other opinions on a good Shiloh book.

Thank you,

Adam Dickerson
    Adam Dickerson

Re: Good Shiloh Book

While this work was originally written as a dissertation in the 1960s, it's only been recently published, and I found it to be a new take on the campaign and the battle itself, truly questioning the legitimacy of Ruggles' 62 gun onslaught against the Hornet's Nest, as well as other aspects of the battle. This may actually be the best work currently on the market.

Shiloh and the Western Campaign of 1862
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Adam,

I will have to say that the book by Wiley Sword on Shiloh is excellent (IMHO). I had a chance to meet him after he wrote "Embrace an Angry Wind" (on Battle of Franklin) and got him to sign both that, as well as the Shiloh book. I appreciated his approach to the book and his detail in laying out the order of battle. He has a couple of appendices in the back that are worth the book just in laying out the order of battle for both Johnston's, as well as Grant's armies. From the death of Peabody, to the horror of the Hornet's nest and the Peach Orchard to the chaos of Forrest and Sherman's clash at the end in the Fallen Timbers, this will be an enjoyable and informative read.....................but that's MY opinion........:sarcastic

regards,
      Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Another good general book is "Shiloh: The Battle That Changed the Civil War" by Larry J. Daniell. The author is one of the best historian's of the Confederate Army of Tennessee. And very few people know more about Confederate artillery than he does.

Dan Stewart

Comment

The Cunnigham book that Bob mentioned is very good. Get your hands on In Hell Before Night it is also good. Also, I would recommend a book that is no longer in print. University Recruits 101 by Roger Bowen and Charles Clark. It is about Company C of the 12th Iowa. These men were mainly college students at Upper Iowa. It details the battle of Shiloh (they were in the Hornets Nest) and getting captured. Also there is a book called Seeing the Elephant.(Title? I need to look upstairs at the title) and it takes an overall approach of the men who fought on both sides.

I have read many books on Shiloh and Wiley Swords is by far the best!!!
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I've got Larry Daniel's book mentioned above, Wiley Sword's book and James Lee McDonough's Shiloh-In Hell before Night. All are great books with Larry Daniel's book getting my nod. After spending many days roaming the battlefield over the years I could practically see the trees as he described the different engagements as I read his book.
            Mike McGee
            Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
            Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
            Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
            Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
            KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
            Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Shameless self promotion - I have IN HELL BEFORE NIGHT for sale.

John Duffer
              Independence Mess
              MOOCOWS
              WIG
              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

The NPS relies on the Cunningham book as it addresses several myths about the battle. I would also highly recommend Seeing the Elephant, especially for our common soldier outlook. I would also throw in The Untold Story of Shiloh: The Battle and the Battlefield by Tim Smith (Its a collection of essays by Smith) and The Shiloh Campaign (Another essay book, this time edited by Steven Woodworth).
                Lee White
                Researcher and Historian
                "Delenda Est Carthago"
                "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can someone recommend a book on Shiloh from the civilian's point of view?
                  Elizabeth Topping
                  Columbus, Ohio

Comment

What myths Lee? Also, in my opinion, Shiloh by Larry Daniel is the most thorough book on that battle.
                    Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    24th Missouri Infantry
                    Independent Volunteer Battalion
                    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

You might like Shilo by Shelby Foote plm
                      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Foote book is good but it is fiction. If you want a good overall Battle of Shiloh book go with the ones mentioned before.
                        Nathan Hellwig
                        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Here's a good explanation about Shiloh's myths... http://www.nps.gov/shil/historycultu...oad/Sunken.pdf. Cunningham's book, though widely disdained by academics when written, has become a very good reference.

A good guilty pleasure is Shelby Foote's, Shiloh: A Novel. Though written as a narrative, he does a good job of boring into the heads of the soldier's voices he hijacks. Be sure to document anything you read in it though.
                          Shane Seley
                          Skulker's Mess
                          shaneseley@gmail.com

Comment

I had forgotten about the Foote book being fiction, sorry, but now you know that I can read... plm
                            Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Working...
                            X