The elusive C.S. unit impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The elusive C.S. unit impression

...and why it's so hard to achieve some semblance of uniformity.

We all have one (or two or three). You know, that bitchin' jacket, decked in worsted wool trim with an odd button count, epaulettes and maybe a chest pocket. Or that kepi copied from some early war job in a museum somewhere in the Carolina's. You know, the kit that is calling to be worn.

From time to time I am struck by how distinctly diverse the clothing and equipments are within a single recreated C.S. unit. Some diversity is to be desired based on time, place etc. etc., but there is great evidence that C.S. units were indeed supplied in lots, just like Federals. Is it not inappropriate to see 6 jacket styles in a 15 man company? Or everyone with a different type of belt and cartridge box?

I know that it depends on the unit, theater and research to back it all up - and I know there are at least 25 people waiting to tell me that, but can't we possibly declare that for the sake of uniformity sacrifices be made? The upcoming Shiloh event will have all the boat bound Federals in blouses. I was the first to think sadly of the million unique Shiloh impressions one could do and how I would have to give them all up for a plain jane Federal in sky blues and a black hat. Fact is, me in a state jacket and a Whipple hat with jaguar- skinned gaiters and a parasol is way less impressive than 500 dudes wearing blouses and sky blue trow. I think that's also true for C.S. impressions to some extent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arkansas confede&#114.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	229926Click image for larger version

Name:	new pic 20th TN C&#97.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	229927

I read guidelines all the time, in fact, I ALWAYS read guidelines even if I have no plans to attend. I like to see what people are doing for impressions and what's being asked for. I see mostly the same stuff on the lists with a few modifications, and yet AAR photos and my own experience tell me that those lists don't generally yield uniform looking companies.
    Uniformity happened at Bull Run last year with the 2nd Miss, maybe that'll push the boat in the right direction. Anyone else notice this, or am I just trippin'?

Hope this kind of musing flies in ye olde sinks...

-Randall Pierson
Working...
X