Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: knapsack marking for Shiloh

Adam-

Having just read "The Roster and Record of Iowa Troops in the Rebellion" my understanding is that the 15th Iowa did not recieve the majority of their gear until they arrived in St. Louis on March 19, 1862. From that time until their arrival on the battlefield of April 6th I would not think they would have time to "mark" their equipment as they were being hurried to Pittsburg Landing to join Grant's Army. So I would say the knapsacks for the most part would have been unmarked. BUT if I was going into battle and I had anything I could mark my gear with I would have done it. So in conclusion I would say that marked or unmarked could be acceptable. Being that the 15th Iowa had just come through Benton Barracks in St. Louis it is also argueable they could have gotten the necessary materials to mark their knapsacks if they were wanting to do it.

To all you guys that are going to be at Shiloh for the 150th and doing your best on a 15th Iowa Infantry impression...HUZZAH! I just did some research for a family that had an ancestor in the 15th Iowa and they were flattered to hear what you guys are doing.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Robert,
      I totally agree.

Adam Dickerson
      Adam Dickerson

Comment

All,

Wick and I discussed this earlier today and I said what Robert did, all or nothing. Wick will decide if he has the time to get all the stencils together and this would have to be done at Savannah on Friday. If guys don't want to do it, and we can't force them, because they know they'll have to paint over it after the event. I'm fine if we try to get everyone to paint their gear, but I think we'll probably do better to not do the painting. You guys decide. We're all friends and we're in this together. Any way you slice it, you guys are going to be very impressive.
        Matt Woodburn
        Retired Big Bug
        WIG/GHTI
        Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
        "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

matt. i have period 3 inch number stecils and 1 1/2 letter stencils. i could easily make cardboard versions for eack company and mail them to the comanders. i have done this before and its only takes a minute to stencil on the numbers.

Sean Cowger
          Sean Cowger
          Co.B 36th Illinois Vols

Comment

Working...
          X