Preservation March Y2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation March Y2K

We are working on Unison 150th which brought up memories of the Hodge Preservation march in 2000 (same property) and Outpost Y2K.. Nice memories and in many ways the template for all of the EBUFU events that have come since. Just thought folks might like to share their experiences/memories of these two landmark events in the hobby

Re: Preservation March Y2K

Sharing 2 blankets between 3 pards, being cold, and a canteen full of honey saving the day sunday morning.

Co. K 35th NC

Click image for larger version

Name:	k35.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	222752
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Being captured by Pat Craddock at OP2K. As the abortive attack by the 7th OVI on Sunday was being rolled up completely by the then-embryonic WIG battalion, I was loading hurriedly behind a tree when I heard a soft Tennessee voice say: "I wouldn't do that if I were you, Sir." Mr. Craddock was leaning down from his horse and pointing a Lefauchaux revolver at me. Now, if I'd only known that it was non-functioning . . .
      Bob Muehleisen
      Furious Five
      Cin, O.

Comment

No blanket and barefoot in October in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Going "Last of the Mohicans" through the woods when my pard and I were spotted by the federal line after we got separated from our group which ended with our eventual capture. Great time!
        V/R
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Reading Bob's recounting of Pat Craddock's capturing of him reminded me of our (Cav) capturing of a Federal at that same event (OP 2000), during the day on Saturday. I don't know what his name was, but he played the role to the hilt and while we tried to "break" him with all manner of threats or temptation, he held strong. Did a wonderful job and was one of the shining memories for me of the event.

If anyone reading this knows who he was, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

regards,
          Mark
          J. Mark Choate
          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hodge March - Good memories of serving with the Johnnies serving as the 2nd Sgt for Dave Hunter's company...think we were North Carolinian that weekend...which was fitting. Had decent weather, little chilly at night. Remember spooning with Smotherman (you know it had to be cold) and Smotherman Jr who was just a kid at one of his first events as a tag along (who is now married, with a new baby...man, I feel old). One of the highlights for me was walking over to Welbourne on Saturday night and listening to Jon Isaacson and his minstrel band playing on the front porch. It was also a cool experience lying behind the stone wall in front of Welbourne and waiting...waiting...and waiting for the Feds to appear. But, I will have to say, probably one of the most memorable things about that weekend was flying into Dulles, being picked up by Casey Wohlfeil, who had to go by Michael's craft store and get some leather for a shoe lace when we were on the way to the event site. He and I, catching up like friends do, got out of the car and walked side by side into Michaels just talking away....when all at once Casey stopped and looked at me and said..."Chris, I just want you to realize that we just walked side by side into a Michael's store...you know everyone in here things we're a couple (not exact term, but you get the picture)!" I laughed till I about passed out....don't care who you are, that's funny.

Outpost2K - spent the weekend cooking for the Johnnies. Cut lots of bread, carved many hams and sides of beef, and made some killer beefstew. Got about 2 hours sleep all weekend, and saw Ike Gatlin collapse by my fire and just about burn up in the fire until I pulled him back...he was so exhausted he didn't realize he was on fire. I also got to meet some great Yanks who got captured and ended up helping me out in the commissary.

Memories......
            Last edited by Utley; 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM. Reason: add
            Chris Utley
            South Union Mills
            [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
            [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

BTW.. Thanks again Brother Utley!

Outpost 2K... Tired tired tired. But I had a great time. I remember watching federals on the far left of the confederate line digging a rifle pit... I swear we sat and watched for hours and they dug and dug... Eventually, they just disappeared. They had to have built a ladder of some sort to get out of that thing. Or Coley Adair and I tryinG to have a conversation and we were both so exhausted that we just stared at each other. In summary... Let's do it again!

Ike Gatlin
              Last edited by Ike Gatlin; 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Bry, Yeah, me trying to keep the fire warm with my blanket and never forgiving Marshall for talking me into wearing boots, lol.
                Lee White
                Researcher and Historian
                "Delenda Est Carthago"
                "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hodgapalooza...
                  I had a great time. One of those rare events where I got to hang out with my pard, Paul Herring, all weekend. First event, I believe, with Stiles, Sumner, "Scampy" (what ever happened to that guy?), and the rest.

I'll never forget marching with Ed Bears on Sunday morning. That guy's energy and enthusiasm are boundless! Had a nice chat with him at the close of the event while walking back toward the car.
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

The Hodge March was my first event on the authentic side of the hobby, with the prior months spent acquiring better made gear and raising funds at my high school. I believe I still had my learner's permit at the time, and thus my Mom had to drive with me down to the event. She actually spent the time in the car finishing a CC sack coat for me, and when we arrived at registration in the late evening, we sat in the car in the dark parking area as she finished the coat.

I don't think I really knew anyone who was in my company, but the most vivid memory I have is our column marching down the lane toward Welbourne manor and then hearing sudden gun fire at the head of the column. One by one, each company obliqued left and came up onto line like a machine. It was very quick, but I think that was perhaps one of the best "moments" I've experienced, especially up until that time since I had been in the hobby for only 3 years. I also recall marching through Unison hearing the church bells, and someone later stated that some period accounts noted how the troops heard those bells as they moved through the town.

Looking forward to getting back there again.
                    Paul Boccadoro
                    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

OP2K -

#1 - Mark Choate and I laugh about this every once and a while: During a CS cav charge on the Yankee lines, we charged to the creek, turned abruptly and rode in the other direction. Somehow, during the quick 180º turn, both of my boots came out of my stirrups, and as I galloped away, I was slowly slipping backwards, about to come out of the saddle when Mark Choate rode by me, calmly reached over and grabbed me by the back of my saber belt and put me back in my saddle.

#2 - the Buttermilk Rangers - Man, those guys can snore!!!

#3. Standing a dismounted picket post at 3:30AM on a windy hill, being so cold that my horse kept nuzzling me until he could get his head inside my greatcoat. That was one of the three coldest events that I've ever been to, along with Ft, Granger in about 2001, when the temp was 15º and about 12 of us slept in a stall at the 4H fairgrounds next door; and, the Bentonville March - about 2000? - when the progressives did the march from Ben Tart's place to the battlefield. The wind chill musta been in the single digits.
                      Mike Ventura
                      Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Originally posted by PieBoy96 View Post
                        The Hodge March was my first event on the authentic side of the hobby, with the prior months spent acquiring better made gear and raising funds at my high school. I believe I still had my learner's permit at the time, and thus my Mom had to drive with me down to the event. She actually spent the time in the car finishing a CC sack coat for me, and when we arrived at registration in the late evening, we sat in the car in the dark parking area as she finished the coat.

I don't think I really knew anyone who was in my company, but the most vivid memory I have is our column marching down the lane toward Welbourne manor and then hearing sudden gun fire at the head of the column. One by one, each company obliqued left and came up onto line like a machine. It was very quick, but I think that was perhaps one of the best "moments" I've experienced, especially up until that time since I had been in the hobby for only 3 years. I also recall marching through Unison hearing the church bells, and someone later stated that some period accounts noted how the troops heard those bells as they moved through the town.

Looking forward to getting back there again.
                        I remember waking up Saturday morning, being cold and stiff and being in a little cane break near a creek. It was foggy as all get out and all I could see was shadowy JOhnny figures drawing meager rations as some of my messmates were getting the fire going. That is still #1 for me (taking a dump in a period sink on Morris Island in view of Fort Sumter 1 day before the 150th bombardment was pretty close too.)
                        Bryant Roberts
                        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

At the Hodge event I recall our company in the lead advancing through the woods and coming upon two lost Rebs. Our Captain ordered I take a few men and bring in the prisoners. Those two barefooted prisoners would do nothing but impede our progress so we let em go! Small world I suppose. I also remember sleeping on top of our blankets on Friday night and freezing on Saturday night. What a great time. Advancing on that wall was pretty cool as I recall as well. The horse drawn gun annoyed us on a consistant basis that weekend. A very nice touch to the event. There were about eight of us from Long Island that drove down in the middle of the night on Friday. After signing in they stuck us in the back of a pick up truck that had a hard cover over the back and drove us over to the site. I felt like I was being taken hostage. So many good memories from that event.

Cheers,
                          Rob Weber

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Weber View Post
                            At the Hodge event I recall our company in the lead advancing through the woods and coming upon two lost Rebs. Our Captain ordered I take a few men and bring in the prisoners. Those two barefooted prisoners would do nothing but impede our progress so we let em go! Small world I suppose. I also remember sleeping on top of our blankets on Friday night and freezing on Saturday night. What a great time. Advancing on that wall was pretty cool as I recall as well. The horse drawn gun annoyed us on a consistant basis that weekend. A very nice touch to the event. There were about eight of us from Long Island that drove down in the middle of the night on Friday. After signing in they stuck us in the back of a pick up truck that had a hard cover over the back and drove us over to the site. I felt like I was being taken hostage. So many good memories from that event.

Cheers,
                            Rob Weber
                            Yes, a small world indeed! Steve Acker was there talking to us too as a friend saying he knew us!
                            V/R
                            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I remember that Brandon. That was a great time and I still think you are insane, you being barefoot all year in preperation and then staying barefoot the entire event. Impressive and still crazy.

Steve Acker

Comment

Working...
                              X