Preservation March Y2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preservation March Y2K

Bry, I will also always remember the creation of a nickname for you, one that I wont broadcast on here :-)
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

I recall sleeping in what turned out to be a giant pile of dried horsesh*t when I arrived Friday night at PM2K. No wonder nobody wanted to be my file mate. :tounge_sm

It was nice and soft, though.
      Bob Muehleisen
      Furious Five
      Cin, O.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaConscript View Post
        That is still #1 for me (taking a dump in a period sink on Morris Island in view of Fort Sumter 1 day before the 150th bombardment was pretty close too.)
        Not to get thread off topic but Bryant, that ammo box from the sinks is a center piece in my apartment now... I can't bring myself to shake out the sand. Needless to say it's a conversation starter...

I'm sorry I missed the Hodge March, I was still in the process of learning about being on the historically correct side of the hobby. But I will say those were the first authenticity regs I ever read and I still have them in a binder someplace as a starting point for upgrading my impressions.
        Cheers,
        [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

PMY2K
          Getting to hear how my good pard Rich Magwood told the gathered crowd of distinguished guests how he raised a @#$% load of money for preservation!!! And that from someone who lives on the "Left Coast".
          James Ross

Comment

Just to clarify, I was not spooning with Chris Utley. I was the guy on the end of the sleeping line and I was getting windwhipped til I almost froze. Utley was using me for a windbreak. That wind howled up my ass and out my nose. I finally saved myself from freezing to death by folding up the side of my groundcloth and placing my leathers on the other side to hold it up. In the morning, the groundcloth was frozen in that position. That was a miserable night.

OP2K was a great event, but honestly my memories of the several versions of that event that I attended at the same site over the years have all run together so I am no longer certain what happened at which and not another.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

I am eternally grateful Joe!!
              Chris Utley
              South Union Mills
              [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
              [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Preservation 2000 was a ton of work that paid off. We had 300 quality participants and they raised over $50,000 for battlefield land acquisition -- $17,000 went to the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust for purchase of the Talley Farm at Chancellorsville; $5,000 went to The Highland Historical Society for battlefield purchase at McDowell, VA; $10,000 went to the Snickersville Turnpike Association (near where we did the march) for interpretation, fencing, etc. at Aldie, VA. Most importantly $22,000 went to purchase of property at Franklin, TN -- something that had not happened in decades. After ten years in existance Save the Franklin Battlefield finally started purchasing land -- Collins Farm. Without the guys that raised that money for the preservation march Collins Farm would not have been saved.

BTW the Outpost event I thought was excellent. I was sleep deprived thoroughly by Sunday morning. That evening I was to speak as the guest speaker at the Save the Franklin Battlefield 10th anniversary birthday party -- where I would surprise announce the offer to give them $22,000 if they can match our $22,000 and take title of some battlefield land at Franklin -- i.e. Collins Farm. The problem was, as I reread the schedule, that I was to speak in THREE HOURS from the time I reread the flyer, not in the evening as originally thought! My ride gunned it from North Georgia through central Tennessee. I was only 20 minutes late! With 200 people waiting for me, including reporters from the Tennesseean. Ouch

Clad in my Columbus depot, et al. and too beat to be stressed, I spoke how either the STFB should either change its name or take title of some land;-)

RLH
                Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM.
                Robert L. Hodge

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Preservation 2000 was a ton of work that paid off. We had 300 quality participants and they raised over $50,000 for battlefield land acquisition -- $17,000 went to the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust for purchase of the Talley Farm at Chancellorsville; $5,000 went to The Highland Historical Society for battlefield purchase at McDowell, VA; $10,000 went to the Snickersville Turnpike Association (near where we did the march) for interpretation, fencing, etc. at Aldie, VA. Most importantly $22,000 went to purchase of property at Franklin, TN -- something that had not happened in decades. After ten years in existance Save the Franklin Battlefield finally started purchasing land -- Collins Farm. Without the guys that raised that money for the preservation march Collins Farm would not have been saved.

BTW the Outpost event I thought was excellent. I was sleep deprived thoroughly by Sunday morning. That evening I was to speak as the guest speaker at the Save the Franklin Battlefield 10th anniversary birthday party -- where I would surprise announce the offer to give them $22,000 if they can match our $22,000 and take title of some battlefield land at Franklin -- i.e. Collins Farm. The problem was, as I reread the schedule, that I was to speak in THREE HOURS from the time I reread the flyer, not in the evening as originally thought! My ride gunned it from North Georgia through central Tennessee. I was only 20 minutes late! With 200 people waiting for me, including reporters from the Tennesseean. Ouch

Clad in my Columbus depot, et al. and too beat to be stressed, I spoke how either the STFB should either change its name or take title of some land;-)

RLH
                  Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 02-03-2012, 08:59 AM.
                  Robert L. Hodge

Comment

Working...
                  X