Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Period gun cleaning equipment - Where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period gun cleaning equipment - Where to buy?

Hello all,

I searched the forums and found some great threads on method for cleaning of weapons in a period fashion but I didn't see any vendors mentioned on where to find these tools. Dixie Gun Works only had modern supplies and I found some on a couple other sites but am wary to buy before I post my question to you all here. To complicate the matter I have a "Gen 1" Parker Hale 1853 Enfield and I am concerned that the threads will not match up well on the ramrod. (I have already run into this with finding a replacement nipple) Any suggestions on where I could find a privates tool, wiper, worm, and nipple that would fit on a Parker Hale enfield? I have an email out to Lodgewood but I am not hopeful as their website doesn't specifically mention PH parts.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I did find a Sergeants tool for the parker hale on Dixie Gun works.
    Last edited by tlindgren; 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM.
    Tim Lindgren
    1st. Sergeant
    10th Tennessee Inf Co. D
    "Sons of Erin"

Re: Period gun cleaning equipment - Where to buy?

At events, I only use string onto which I gently knot cleaning patches. Patch and string get rammed. Patches get replaced until I'm statisfied the bore is clean. Other items to use are lots of hot water and some olive oil. Total tools needed : string, patches, a boiler for water and a small bottle with oil. A worm is a nice item to have, but I rarely use it. So, not many items to purchase from sutlers.

But, that's what I do. Others have other ideas.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

The nipple on the P-H should be the standard British size of 5/16 X 18, they are commonly available and are even used on the Italian reproduction P53s as well as original British-made military arms. Maybe someone tried to sell you the US standard 5/16 X 24? The same problem plagued them "back in the day".
      Thomas Pare Hern
      Co. A, 4th Virginia
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I use scraps of fabric cut into approximately 1 1/2 inch squares from my sewing projects to make patches. Other than that... what Silas said is gold! The string and ramrod idea intrigued but then I remembered I use a springfield so no help there for me ;-)
        Brad Ireland
        Old Line Mess
        4th VA CO. A
        SWB

Comment

Hallo!

Unless they have been redone since I had one of the first of the Sergeant's "Y" tools... they were/are pretty much a piece of jewelry or a prop rather than a functional tool. They take some work and rework to be made a tad bit "more useless" er functional.

Some lads replace the anemic, undersized cast wiper with a replacement and then have the tool and the wiper rethreaded to match the ramrod so tha tall three threads match. Or add a leaterh washer to try to keep the oil form leaking ut and making a mess whereever the tool is stored.

IMHO, save the money and just buy a wiper.

Or as some lads do, "compromise" in the Modern World with a modern cleaning ramrod (aka range rod), modern cleaning jag, and modern bore scraper... and you will still be ahead of the game and can use the money saved toward other needed clothing or kit.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey
            I use scraps of fabric cut into approximately 1 1/2 inch squares from my sewing projects to make patches. Other than that... what Silas said is gold!
            Same here on the sewing projects. Shirting works best for the interior of the barrel while the thicker wool works best for stock and exterior of the barrel. A little oil, a little ash, a little elbow grease equals a clean musket.

Originally posted by cprljohnivey
            The string and ramrod idea intrigued but then I remembered I use a springfield so no help there for me ;-)
            Same here. I do not own an Enfield. Use the head of the rammer to guide the patch and string to the bottom.

Patience is the key. Don't try to clean the barrel on the first patch. Don't apply a patch until you've water comes out clear from the barrel. Use a light application on the first couple patches. If you go gorilla using much force on a really dirty musket, you risk getting the patch and rammer stuck although usually it's just the patch with string which isn't so bad. Then go to town after that. You get good polishing action with this method.

I've done it this way for more than ten years. Only seen two patches get stuck, and that was early in the learning curve. This is a great, low tech method of cleaning a musket in the field.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Blockade Runner has a decent repop of an Enfield wiper. I have one and it is better made than some of the others and a more accurate copy. I would think the threads would match but it might be a good idea to contact them and ask.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

I cut new threads on my PH ramrod to fit the Blockaid Runner tool. Not a problem. I also chased the threads on my other repros to fit original wipers. All you need to do is buy the die.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks you all for the replies. I will think about all this.

@Jim Do you know if the BR wiper would fit a Italian ramrod?
                  Tim Lindgren
                  1st. Sergeant
                  10th Tennessee Inf Co. D
                  "Sons of Erin"

Comment

Tim,

I'll jump in here and say yes, they do fit Italian ramrods. That's what I put mine on.
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Along with the above suggestions, get a wiper/worm anyway or have a pardner that owns one. Once in a great while, a patch wants to stay at the breach and this is a way to retrieve it.
                      Mike Stein
                      Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Working...
                      X