Need help identifying a revolver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying a revolver

While doing research I came acorss the final effects of 1st Lt. Henry Jenkins, Co. G 9th KY Inf (US) who died at Huntsville, AL of Tyhpoid on 10 Jul., 1862. All looked pretty average except the effects included "One Navy Revolver (improved) 8 inch barrel". Anybody have an idea about what "Improved" would mean or which of the Navies had an 8" barrel?

Re: Need help identifying a revolver

Colt Navies, 1851 & 1861, had 7.5 inch barrels and the Remington New Model Navy had a 7 3/8 inch barrel. Since he died in 1862 and the New Model Remington was not produced until 1863 that rules that one out. The 44 Remington and the later Colt Army's had 8 inch barrels but were not refered to as Navies so it leaves a quandry as to which one was actually meant. It could be that the individual taking the effects inventory did not know off hand exactly what type of revolver it was or did not have a ruler he could have easily made a mistake in recording the barrel length and type firearm.

I would say that this is going to probably be a 1861 Colt Navy if it is a Navy revolver he was recording. If I had my references handy I might be able to say for sure. Hopefully Curt will pop in with some information.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Hallo!

Stump the Chump.

Such references are often confusing becasue it was clear to the writer but is not (now) clear to the reader.

As shared, there are no (use of a Universal so noted) 8 inch barrelled Colt or Remington "navy" revolvers. NUG, Ordnance folks NUG liked the "Old Model" and "New Model" reference "system. Oh, say the M1861 Remington Army and NAvy which became the "Old Model" when the M1863's became the "New Models." Or the "Colt Navy Pistol N.M."
      And, at times, "Improved' sneaks in such as the M1866 Winchester being aka as the M1866 Winchester or "Improved Henry."

Colt did dabble with 8 inch barrels on the Type I and early production Type II M1860 Army, but went to only 8 inch barrels for the Types III and IV.

IMHO, as shared, he was likely talking abut the M1861 Navy as the "improved' version of (the four types) of the M1851 Navy and goofed on the half inch too long barrel.
      There are two navy revolvers (just a repeat Army and Navy NUG refer to .44 and .36) that have 8 inch barrels: the Union Arms navy and the Western Arms navy. The are essentially rund barreleld versions of a Whitney and Remington. I guess they were hybrid enough, or tier production so small it did not behoove Whitney or Remington to sue them for patent violations. But, I doubt these could be thought of or referred to as "improved."

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks. My initial guess was along the line that it was a Colt .36" with a longer than normal barrel. Colt used to do special orders and in fact did them easily through the mid 1900s. I have in my shop right now an 1860 Army that is odd because it has an integral high thing steel front sight blade instead of the ususal inserted brass blade. And, the spur of the hammer is very thin and smooth and the frame was forged steel not cast semi-steel case-hardened. I refubbished it to working order which was not easy since it had taken a nasty drop on its butt, bending the grip back strap and brass front strap forward. I was fascinated by it because it was obviously made for someone as a special-order. It was the "Improved" that was most interesting to me on the notation.

Comment

Working...
        X