Revisit of ACW photos in an online artice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisit of ACW photos in an online artice

Thought this was pretty neat. Appears to be digitized photos, with a few I unknown to myself. It is a 3 part series, including some sterotypes that appear in 3D.

Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
    49th Ohio
    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Re: Revisit of ACW photos in an online artice

Check out the 6th Picture in Part 1 seen at this link: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...places/100241/

Notice "Support Arms" in the foreground and "Right Shoulder Shift" in the background.

Thanks for the link Jeff!
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Check out image 14 of the bagged Johnnies at belle plain. IF the caption is correct, and those are indeed captured confederates, that is an awful lot of shelter tents/blankets/flys. Interesting.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Ok, some thoughts/observations....

Pt. 1 #8: Look at the rows of pine trees between the tents, looks like a christmas tree farm to me....

Pt. 1 #14: I've seen this one with the other 1864 Rebel prisoner shots...there are alot of shelter tents....

Pt. 1 #23: I think this is my favorite, a regiment in knapsacks with A-tents in the background. Dark Blue pants?

Pt. 1 #24: A famous Gettysburg photo, I think new research has shown these men weren't from Sickles's 3rd Corps but were from Biddle's Brigade of the 1st Corps on McPherson's Ridge from July 1st battlefield.\=

Pt. 1 #35: Love the "Atlanta Lager Deer" on the bottom right corner....

Pt. 2 #32: Looks like the man in the foreground was wearing his captured federal knapsack when he was hit...

Pt. 2 #45: Mississippi Rifles and Saber bayonets.....

Pt. 3 #6: I find this one very interesting for some reason. Note that only a couple of people are looking at the camera. Everyone else is looking away and towards a specific point, did they hear firing close by? Something must have caught their attention to draw it away from the camera like that.

Pt. 3: #16: Same group, different angle. Most of them are still looking away and at something.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Originally posted by mike44thva View Post
          Check out the 6th Picture in Part 1 seen at this link: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...places/100241/

Notice "Support Arms" in the foreground and "Right Shoulder Shift" in the background.
          Does the fellow's rifle, one at support arms, look like there is a lot of metal at the breech? Like possibly a Sharp's Rifle?
          Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
          49th Ohio
          Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Working...
          X