US Canteens - Guaging Demand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Canteens - Guaging Demand

Trying to figure out the level of demand for Fed issue canteens.

See this post for more information:

Thanks!
    Yes!
    77.67%
    No.
    8.74%
    Maybe (please explain in a post)
    13.59%

The poll is expired.

John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: US Canteens - Guaging Demand

John,

Folks might jump all over a authentic canteen in the $50 range but if it were $150 plus they might not be so willing to buy one. The poll does not take price into consideration.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

I agree. A covered federal canteen in the $50.00-$65.00 range would be fair.
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

True. But I was trying to guage demand, not price point.

Using WW&Co as a benchmark, quality canteens currently run in the $70-80 range for Federal. Sam Doolin's Gardner-pattern wooden canteens have been fetching $100 routinely on the used market. So, I don't think we'll ever see a good $50 Fed canteen again.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canteen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	222842Click image for larger version

Name:	St Lawrence U Collection Quartermaster Report.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	222843
          Prices certainly have gone up, but why the Army charged G GrandDad $.34 instead of their cost of $.44 is a mystery. And why did he destroy his canteen anyway- to make a fry pan?
          I for one would be interested in an accurate repro.
          [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
          SUVCW, SVR,
          Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
          Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

I said no, only because my Federal Canteen is in real good shape and not leaving the gear box much anymore. My CS canteen only has another season or two left.
            Andrew Grim
            The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
            x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
            Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
            Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

I said maybe. I bought a smoothside canteen from the same maker who supplied them to the Jersey Skillit Licker. It's held up fine through 9 or 10 seasons of hard use. Even the canteen strap has held up. But I know members in my unit who need a good canteen and Orchard Hill and Jersey no longer make them.
              Jason David

Peter Pelican
              36th Illinois Co. "B"
              Prodigal Sons Mess
              Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I'm a maybe, and the only for that is because my current canteen is not quite ready for replacement. Three years ago when I was gearing up, I was surprised to find a lack of quality vendors offering canteens. I truly regret getting rid of my Orchard Hill canteen when I went on hiatus from the hobby.
                Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I'd go $75-80 for a good Fed canteen. I too have one I got from the Jersey Skillet Licker, and its been a dandy. Getting that good metallic taste which tells me it may be rusting inside, so I'd like a back-up.
                  Ron Mueller
                  Illinois
                  New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                  Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                  Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Particularly if it had the correct tin spout of the Cin. O. canteens.
                    Pat Brown

Comment

I said maybe just because I can’t afford one now but it is towards the top of my list of things to buy. Would defiantly be interested in the future if its not a limited run and maybe even then I still might.
                      Brandon Ledvina

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a new canteen now. I would pay up to $100 for a accurate covered canteen with a sling.
                        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                        Civil War Digital Digest
                        Sally Port Mess

Comment

I chose, "Yes!"

This is the reply that I posted on Jan's thread:
                          I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Mike O’Donnell’s book yet. Great resource! After I read that book, studied the photos, etc, I found that many of the better reproductions were simply incorrect in more ways than I had previously realized. As Curt has mentioned, the shape and body aside, a lot of the problems lie with the spouts.

This is actually a topic that a messmate and I have been discussing for a few years, especially since O’Donnell’s most recent book.

Jan,
                          I, for one, am on the same page with you. It’s difficult to get guys to purchase a proper coat that costs several hundred dollars. But, I would think that something basic, like a properly made canteen, would have been something folks would have a higher demand for.

There is talk that a properly made canteen in the $50-$75 would be fair and sought after. I realize after buying canteens better than most (yet still off the mark) in the aforementioned price range that adding a cover and proper sling will easily put the finished product in the $100 range. I don’t think that price is gonna scour. A properly cared-for canteen will last a LONG time. I’d have no issue paying over $100 for a properly made canteen that is true its original despite the additional cost to cover it and add a sling. Even a grand total of $200 for a finished product would be worth the years I would get out of it, others will disagree.
                          Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

I said "no" but only because I fought this battle last year. I could not find a repro Cincinatti Canteen that I was happy with so I eventually had an original spout put on a repro body. I'm pretty happy with it after buying and sending back several.
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I voted yes. Preferably a Cincinnati Depot.
                              Last edited by Lucky; 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM.
                              Brian DesRochers
                              Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
                              Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
                              Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X