US Canteens - Guaging Demand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Canteens - Guaging Demand

Unless of course you are researching post war canteens. The 1885 was modified before being issued, your Roadrunner is an after market modification, so not really the same.
    Andrew Grim
    The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
    x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
    Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Gee. You're right! A Roadrunner with a replaced engine is not an M.1858 canteen with replaced sling swivels. For one thing, a Roadrunner won't hold water. At the beginning of the military show in Louisville there were, as I wrote, eight or so really wretched looking but functional altered 1858 canteens for sale, asking price as low as $80. At the end of the show three days later, these canteens were still on the tables. At no time when passing by did I see anyone falling down to worship them. A renewed life in their original incarnation sure appeals as a viable option to me.
      David Fox

Comment

Please Note:

Be nice... its one of the big three rules that have been with the site for more than a decade.

John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Apologies to comrade Grim. Had a bad day. My bottom line, and I'll shut up: Among U. S. military artifacts of the second half of the 19th Century, canteens are about the most common. Among those canteens are the uncollectable, and thus the cheap. Among these are some which remain usable. An Island of Lost Toys for reenactors, something, with a tad of help, original about ones person to carry into 21st Century reenacting. I appreciate canteens. I collect U.S. canteens of all eras in general and the 1858 family in particular, down to the last incarnation, the M.1909 mounted canteen. Some, due to use and abuse, are simply not particularly valuable artfacts as-is, and won't be any time soon. And LOVE the new moderator hat logo.
          Last edited by David Fox; 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM.
          David Fox

Comment

Im a "maybe" guy. I have 2 federal canteens for diff time periods. My early war is the 1858 smoothside, with blanket covering and leather strap made by Orchard Hill, labeled as hot tin dipped. My later war is a blanket covered, bullseye tin canteen with cloth strap. Not sure of the maker, but it was purchased off of these forums several years ago.

The only difference I noticed, was the amount of water one can hold between a repro and an original. I never measured the actual width, but when I saw an original smoothside, it appeared that it was twice as wide (not circumferential) as my Orchard Hill. Maybe it was just one of those many differences that can be seen amongst the numerous originals out there, but if an original did in fact have more volume, well I for one would like to see that.
            Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Originally posted by unionprivate View Post
              ...when I saw an original smoothside, it appeared that it was twice as wide (not circumferential) as my Orchard Hill. Maybe it was just one of those many differences that can be seen amongst the numerous originals out there, but if an original did in fact have more volume, well I for one would like to see that.
              It was bugging me not being able to remember where I saw the difference between an original and a repro, but I found it. Page 162, of the CRRC 2, under the article "A canteen is a canteen, or is it?" Fig 1. That was my observation of the different sizing.
              Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Working...
              X