How hot were you at an event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How hot were you at an event?

Hot? Hot is portraying Federal at Ft. Morgan, Alabama in August. Little shade, beaucoup mosquitos, temps. topping 100+ and high humidity.
    Not much better in the casemates....no air. Misery.
    Mad dogs and Englishmen?
    Andy Redd
    Andy Redd

Comment

Well, the hottest that I have ever been was at the 2001 2nd Manassas. I think that was the correct year. I saw a hog melt and the grease ran into a potato field and we were all fed French Fries that afternoon. There was a steady flow of EMS trucks taking people to the hospital.
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Well, to join in with the festivities here, and since we have bumped Manassas, mine would be the first Raymond, MS back in the mid nineties. The temp was in the 90's but the humidity was through the roof and it was May, so no one was acclimated to the heat yet. I did not hit my canteen as I should and started seeing double, literally. I remember Coley Adair got too hot there too and went to the creek, got naked and laid in the water to cool off.

Hey..........sorry to leave y'all with that "visual", ha.

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

" sorry to leave y'all with that "visual" "

'Hey, have you seen this?'
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

In the van.

96' Wilderness was hot. I ended up going to the hospital for heat stroke.
            Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

Originally posted by Choatecav View Post
              Well, to join in with the festivities here, and since we have bumped Manassas, mine would be the first Raymond, MS back in the mid nineties.
              Yes, Raymond '98 was a scorcher.
              V/R
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Another warm event for me was out in Iowa in 2007. I don't remember the temperature though , but it was hot. I acquired a really horrible case of heartburn that evening. Oh I felt rather under the weather that night. The next afternoon, clouds were coming in as I left the event. Latter I found out, a large storm system hit as we were down the road. And there was a tornado that formed a few hours after the event had ended.
                Last edited by Philip cav; 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM.
                Philip D. Brening
                Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
                3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

I like that the question asks how hot we were, as opposed to the air temperature. Last year at Manassas takes the prize in the latter category, but I had access to ice, shade, and down time, so as scary as the temps got, I managed. On the other hand, I've seen guys drop due to simple mismanagement when the temperatures were twenty-five degrees lower.

Berkeley Hundred, as Grumpy notes, got nearly as hot, but had higher humidity. It did not relent, with the exception of a cool breeze Saturday dusk that lasted all of five minutes. I stood guard both nights. It was the only time I've had the distinct sensation of my flesh rotting off my bones.

"In the Van" seemed pretty hot all six days, with the added joys of grading roads for wagons and warding off bushwhackers. But the folks running it ran it well and we lost no one. Maybe it helped that none of the participants had smart phones on which to check the weather report.

I hit my personal limit on the third day of the Sixth Corps March in 2008. I doubt the temperature got to ninety, but halfway through the day's seventeen mile march I literally could not put one foot in front of the other and had to fall out with heat exhaustion. It took me three days to recover. That left time to rejoin the group for the very last leg, but I hope what I learned will enable me to do better next year.
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                    Which Manassas are you disqualifying? I was at the 125th and it cured me of doing another. Many people down and out.
                    That was my first event, Gettysburg 125 was a doozy too.
                    Bob Manzo
                    Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Beedle

I think we often fail to acknowledge the effects of native geography. Just as I was about frozen in what for you was t/shirt and flip flop weather for Raising the First, I think the six days of 100 degree plus and southern humidity of In The Van was far harder on northern men, who made up the bulk of the troops.
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

In terms of suffering from the heat, other than the 2011 Manassas, my worst experience was the 2010 Neshaminy event. It wasn't that hot, only in the mid-ninties; but it was the last weekend in April, near Philadelphia. Nobody, but nobody, was prepared for that kind of heat, that early in the season.

Funny, the Event Organizers learned our lesson. Last year, we had ice and water pre-positioned and a evacuation plan in place. It never got above seventy-five all weekend.
                        Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Manassas 2001.
                          Tom Dodson

Comment

Manassas reigns supreme but if not Manassas I would say a living history I did in Port Republic, VA in 2008.
                            Stephen Pavey
                            "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

I've been to several Gettysburg events over or around July 4th weekend which would have won the prize but 150th Manassas wins the prize now!
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

You know I've been rethinking this and have come to the conclusion that I'm hot at every event - just ask the ladies.

(just kidding. I have no illusions in that area rest assured.)
                                Michael Comer
                                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                                X