Where to look for Regimental colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to look for Regimental colors?

I have been trying to find a picture of the Regimental Flag of my 4th great grandfather's Regiment, the 46th Mass Volunteer Infantry Militia, but have not been successful. Would any forum members know of any resources that I may be able to research and possible find what I am looking for? Thanks.

Russell Smith

Jotham Drake 46th Mass
    Isaac Drake 46th Mass
    William Sanderson 27th Mass
    Russell Smith

Descendent of:
    Jotham Drake 46th Mass Vol Inf Militia
    Isaac Drake 46th Mass Vol Inf Militia
    William Sanderson 27th Vol Inf

Re: Where to look for Regimental colors?

My first reccomendation would be the Army Heritage Center in Carlise, PA. They have researchers who can help you find what you are looking for, as well as a fairly intense collection on site. Often I have found, that if the information MIGHT reside in another collection, they sometimes can point you in that direction. There is of course, the National Archives, the State Archives of MA, the MA National Guard (don't laugh...they often keep records, or there is an officer who is "into that type of stuff". There is also, the US Army Infantry Museam in Ft. Benning, GA.

Another source might be the Smithsonian Institute (AKA, The Nation's Attic).
    Last edited by Jboring; 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM. Reason: additional stuff came to mind.
    Jeremiah Boring
    Co. B, 1st USSS

Comment

Re: Where to look for Regimental colors?

Russell,
      Jeremiah is spot on. You can also take an afternoon and call around to the state and county Historical Societies. Often they have flags they don't display due to deterioration. Also you might try contacting Dupage Military Flag Company. Steven Hill has 30+ years experience with flags and in the event that the 46th's flag doesn't exist anymore, he would probably be able to tell you what depot it came from hence you could identify what it looks like.

Good luck!
      V/R
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X