Yes, you can survive 36 hrs at an event in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yes, you can survive 36 hrs at an event in the rain

Oncet you've forced yourself to "stay until the end," it gets easier, every time. You learn about yourself and, you gain pride in your ability to stick it out.

I think everyone here, (who I've seen post) has been at an event where your appointed officer made a decision that was marginal safety wise, and you scratched your head. And, we'd all admit, we would hope those who were put in leadership roles for events, are "safety first" minded individuals. And, I've been at events where this officer and several of the event organizers have "huddled" and said, "Look, things are happening here we have no control over, and it's in everyone's best interest we call this thing off." Rational heads prevail and nobody gets hurt. It has to happen. Someone has to say, "Hey, we need to talk before things even get marginal."

The reason I made my initial comment and the Mods ask it my comment could be used to start this thread, is, what "period correct" methods (for lack of a better term, could we communicate and teach the folks who visit this forum (as much as we can teach by typing on a keyboard), to keep them from running to their cars at the first sign of adversity. What period correct field skills can we pass on to our members?

Let's not throw darts. Teach a man to fish; ya da ya da ya da.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

How to build a fire. How to cook period rations. How to build shelter. How to look after one another.
      Tom Yearby
      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

And, for the 800 civilians registered for Shiloh (about 3/4 female), those of us dealing with period civilians for this are dealing with similar kinds of fieldcraft.

I've had an influx of inquires from men in the history-heavy end of the hobby, whose wives will be attending. Often this is their first event camping--they've been daytrippers to living histories heretofore. Once I get these gals on the phone, I'm finding several things:

(1) They only have cotton dresses. They've not been in the hobby long enough to learn the fieldcraft their husband knows, or have not been to events that were held in anything other than mild weather. Their husband knows that cotton kills, but nobody has told them. We'd rather they have a wool dress for this shindig, but if thats not happening, there is still time for them to make a wool petticoat. Those made all the difference for me at IPW.

(2) They do not own a period wool coat. Capes are pretty enough, but they are nothing more than a woolen wind tunnel in real weather--they catch every gust and rob the body of heat.

(3) They do not own any period rain gear. Rubber overshoes are a must have for women, even before a rain coat.

(4) They do not know how to make a reasonably warm and water resistant bedroll. They may have some pretty quilts, but don't realize that they are near to useless in this setting.

(5) They don't know any other women who are coming. They know their husband can't come help them. And they haven't yet met who they can ask for help.

Now, point 5 we can remedy pretty quickly---its one of the reasons we've structured the civilian Town in the manner we have. But fellers, if you are one of these men, spend some time teaching her what you know. Some problems we can remedy on site--its part of what we do in teaching fieldcraft in a civilian setting. But the better prepared she is, the more likely she is to stay and enjoy herself.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mid 19th century folks, especially those from rural areas, be they male or female, soldier or civilian, knew survival skills, so researching how they managed is important. But all the research and material preparation is only good when combined with a strong mental attitude. Mental toughness can get one through hardships. Be prepared, knowledgeable, and mentally tough.
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

John, I like this line of thinking: "If you're standing around jaw-jacking with your pards, be aware of the guy standing outside the circle and pull him in."

I've done this a few times at events, and I'm glad I did, Making friends... Like a boss. (But I am a known war criminal.)

Also, great discussion so far folks. There are a myriad of examples and experiences here, and it is good to see them. I guess the overlying point that has stuck with me is still, why did I go to all of the trouble to get prepped, read sources, travel, and then leave early? I know I said that earlier, but it is the over hanging subject that just made me mad for leaving early.

Also, regarding Shiloh, I'll be shocked if it doesn't rain.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
              Also, regarding Shiloh, I'll be shocked if it doesn't rain.
              I plan to be wet, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I stay dry. If I lose my 'backer, I'm leaving... that's it! ;)
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I personally like events where you don't particularly have much of an option, as far as bugging out, and you start out in that mindset. The most recent that comes to mind was the 65' Backwaters event a few years back, due to buisness I can't attend the week long events. That was about as close to suffering as a CW soldier, as I think I may expierence. You had to survive the march to go home!
                Last edited by Mtn.Guerilla; 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM.
                Eric N. Harley-Brown
                Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

At a three-day event many years ago, a line of violent storms caused the organizers to move us from beat-up old cabins on a hilltop to a nice new open-walled shelter in a valley...which was hit by lightning while we were in it. No one was hurt, but the incident proves that the best-laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley. The best we could do was the best we could do. Had the organizers canceled, we'd have missed a day and a half of good times to avoid fifteen minutes of serious concern.

Shiloh...it's April, it's Tennessee, and it'll rain at some point. It's worth noting that the river was at a very high stage during the battle. If it gets really high--I don't see that on any current forecast, but should it happen--the boat may have to make some changes, not because they want to, but because current river law will dictate what can be done, where and how. If that happens, somebody will complain, but that somebody does not have a license hanging in the balance.

The matter of being dependable at an event is why I can't go to anything overnight. There's a very high probability that I'd be called to rush home for a family emergency (which would be 99 percent likely to be separation anxiety, but I couldn't take the chance.) I'd love to go to events, but serious thought has to go into it: if I'm going to have to bail, what contribution would I be making? Not only would my absence be annoying once a scenario starts, but the effort to find me and get me out of there would be a mood-killer. The same goes for those of us who think of going to heavy-duty events when we have our own serious physical challenges. My brain writes checks my lupus-chewed body can't cash, and if it gives out at a bad time, somebody else's enjoyment of the event will be ruined. It's tempting to say "Maybe I'll be OK by then!" but respect for the organizers says otherwise.

Drying clothing at an event is an art form. If it rained for several days in the 1860s, yes, clothing mildewed. Most of us have a good bit invested in kit and don't want to lose it, so non-period drying solutions will come into play once you get home. It's worth noting that a washboard and homemade soap do a decent job of getting clothes clean and a vnegar rinse will help prevent regrowth of mildew on fabrics that can tolerate the acid. In general, if you can lie down with a dry layer of clothing next to your skin, you're far less likely to wake up miserable. If you can dry your feet before bed and lie down in dry socks (yes, even if you put your shoes back on) you're less likely to have water-swollen skin that will blister the next day. If you have to choose between putting extra covers over or under you, put them under. Gum blankets and oilcloths are not decorative. Shawls are not merely fashion accessories.

Just curious: if you've given this thought, what weather conditions would make you, personally, cancel or shorten an event if you were the organizer?
                  Becky Morgan

Comment

It's nice some of our civilian are chiming in. Boy, do we ever need them at many events.

Comment

People leave when it ain't fun no more. Some people ain't tuff .
                      The boys of 1860's were branded cowards and shot if they left early.We don't shoot'em anymore. They left too when they had enough. I have studied the rosters of several units at Donelson and many of the units were at half strength from measles outbreak. When the units were captured very few men joined back after their units were released from prison camps .

Human Nature -People leave when it ain't fun no more.
                      Nothing much has changed.
                      Jerry Ross
                      Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                      Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                        I plan to be wet, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I stay dry. If I lose my 'backer, I'm leaving... that's it! ;)

Oh, I'm sure the local populace will have some 'baccy for sale.

Of course they could be the sort of old wimmez who sold Stillwell those poisoned pies.
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I'll fess up to being an ocassional early leaver. In many cases this is due to disappointment and frustration.

1.) For me, and like a most of you, I spend a lot of time and energy getting ready for events. A big part of my preparation is getting myself in the "right" state of mind. I confess that my imagination often takes over--imagining the total/perfect 19th-century experience that I'm going to have. When I get there, I often find it less than "perfect". This is no ones fault but my own. It is I that builds these events up into somthing they cannot possibly achieve.

2.) Civil War reenacting was a family hobby for me. Most of those folks are long gone now. It hasn't been the same without them. I also remember my early events, 20 years ago, when unit comraderie seemed more a part of our hobby. The world of reenactors was far smaller and we got to know each other better. Who could forget Al Page's 3rd Missouri Cavalry; Charlie Guffy's 4th Kentucky; Nicky Hughes' 7th Kentucky; Geoff Walden and the Jeff Davis Rifles? By modern standards, we certainly weren't the most authentic/accurate in our impressions, but we were younger, we were friends. The chaos and disorganization of early events was...well, "fun". Modern umbrella groups have organized a lot of the fun out of our events. Sometimes for the right reasons, and sometimes not.

4.) My job has forced me to move a lot and I've since been unable to develop a similar rapport with another unit. Consequently, I don't feel as strong a connection/loyalty to them.

For these reasons, I quit attending events altogether in 2005 and haven't been to one since--as a combatant or spectator.

Just my thoughts.
                          Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
                          1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Comment

Here's a lesson re-learned just this weekend. Overprepare, physically. Don't be ready for just the minimum; prepare for way more. You never know what you'll have to do.

This event was supposed to require only a march of one level mile, round trip. Luckily, I'd been building up walking speed and endurance over the winter for another future event, so by accident I happened to be overprepared.

After several inches of rain the day before the event started, the dirt road that made up the last part of the route was half under water and half ankle-deep mud. By Saturday, it had "dried up" to maybe one-quarter under water and three-quarters ankle-deep mud. Those unfit for duty stayed in camp. The rest sucked it up and did it.

But if anybody had just barely got in shape for a level, short, easy march, they would have had quite a surprise, through no one's fault but the weather. Overpreparing physically and mentally, as if you were going into the actual historic situation, where in this case men were marching and working for weeks in the mud, really helps make whatever happens at an event seem easier.

Hank Trent
                            hanktrent@gmail.com
                            Hank Trent

Comment

Thanks for your years of contributions to our hobby.

What helped you stay in the field when the going got tough?

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
                                Thanks for your years of contributions to our hobby.

What helped you stay in the field when the going got tough?
                                Is that specifically to me? Actually, nothing, LOL! I'm a wimp and would leave in a heartbeat if I thought I was at any risk of real harm or was hopelessly miserable. If I'm around people who are interested in giving a sense of being back in time, it's pretty hard for me to actually feel miserable, though. I mean, geez, if any of us were given the chance to actually go back in time for a day or two and meet the people we study, with the promise that we'd return safely, but the only part of the past we could visit would be a particularly miserable situation, wouldn't most of us still jump at the chance?

If anything, I think peer pressure is a two-edged sword. All this modern cameraderie that reenactors praise, means people feel an obligation to stay with their friends, but it means they'll leave when their friends do, too.

Hank Trent
                                hanktrent@gmail.com
                                Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                                X