I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new

Hello everyone, I am a mainstreamer from Ontario, Canada and I am working on improving my impression (I already purchased a new fatigue blouse and I will probably be campaigning for atleast one event this year). I was just wondering if you fellows have any suggestions for me.

Mitchell Wilson
    Last edited by dusty27; 03-14-2004, 08:31 AM.

Re: I'm new

Hello Mitchell,

Welcome aboard. You will need to sign your all your posts with your full name.

I've been meaning to write this anyway, so I'll use this as an excuse. Here is "A Very Short Beginner's Guide to the AC Website"

1) Start by reading the thread "We have Rules" under Administration - AC News, Polls & Surveys.

2) Under Camp of Instruction, you'll find the "Beginner's Bibliography." Excellent resources are given here, Books, Articles and Websites to help with your Civil War Research.

3) Also under Camp of Instruction - there are several Articles Sections. I suggest you start with "For the Beginning Reenactor" under Editorial Articles, and then work through the others depending on your needs.

4) Have a look at the Links area on the Toolbar. There's a ton of resources there.

5) Research and read. Use the Search function on the toolbar to look up specific topics that you're interested in. Do that BEFORE asking a question, often you'll find amazing numbers of things that were previously discussed.

That's a start, and I need to get back to work. Hope it helps!

John T
    John Taylor

Comment

Why campaign at only one event this year? Why not campaign at all of them?
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

HiredDutchCutThroat, I will most likely be campaigning at the first event I attend this year and see where I go from there (I will most likely end up capaigning at the rest of the events I attend :) ).

Comment

Mitchell,

Best of luck to you in striking out for new areas of improvement in southern Ontario this year. The events in Canada generally stink and working to improve in that region can be a difficult process. Our group, the Columbia Rifles, has a couple members in southern Ontario--one in Guelph and one in Toronto--and I'm located in the Buffalo, NY area. If there's some way we can encourage or assist you, drop me a note.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne
            Mitchell,

Best of luck to you in striking out for new areas of improvement in southern Ontario this year. The events in Canada generally stink and working to improve in that region can be a difficult process. Our group, the Columbia Rifles, has a couple members in southern Ontario--one in Guelph and one in Toronto--and I'm located in the Buffalo, NY area. If there's some way we can encourage or assist you, drop me a note.

To echo what Kevin said.

Finding a good group of like minded guys is really important. You will feed off of their enthusiasm and they off yours, as well as have somebody to bounce ideas off of, share resources, and generally geek out on history. :wink_smil Hey welcome abord, read allot, ask questions and onward and upward!
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

My suggestion: Don't be scared to run with it. Just jump in with both feet and try to get as hard-core as you can. There is no reason to "pussy-foot" it, when you can dive right in!

Comment

CaptainUCSB, I'll take your advise, and be as hard-core as I can be with my limited budget, I already read alot of Civil War material and I have a pard, who is also going to campaign this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thNYVI
                  CaptainUCSB, I'll take your advise, and be as hard-core as I can be with my limited budget, I already read alot of Civil War material and I have a pard, who is also going to campaign this year.

Keep in mind, mind set is everything, once you get in the right frame of mind everything else will fall in place. Read allot of diaries memoirs etc, and do in the field what you read. As far as gear goes, I reccomend getting a well made cap from an approved vendor on this board first. A good cap (or hat) will do wonders for your impression, after you get a good cap upgrade your uniform and gear. Ask allot of questions, if you feel a question is inapropriate for the board feel free to PM me. Good luck!
                  Robert Johnson

Comment

What helped me get my mindset going was to read "Co. Aycth." That made the whole thing feel more real.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thNYVI

Progressive/Hardcore is not about the gear, but the attitude. The Gear always follows.

Find a group with good loaner gear, and jump on board. As much as we talk about gear and clothing, in the end it is the desire to learn that makes an impression.

Ever think of doing both sides? It gives you a very rounded and non biased view of history.

Pards,
                      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Chris is right - it's attitude. There were some folks with decidedly mainstream gear who showed up for the Bentonville march in 2000. They were wearing what they had as well as they could.

It was a long, hard march and if it was only 10 miles, I'll eat my hat. By the end, the guys who didn't have the gear were ready to go out and by it.

This isn't your mama's "sit under a tent fly and drink lemonade" type of reenacting... or at least it shouldn't be. Once you spend a weekend at a Pickett's Mill type event, you'll know for yourself - it's about attitude.

And yes, I did eat some of that goat at Bentonville and it was good.
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
                        X