Flour of Emory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flour of Emory

Does anybody know were I could pick some of this up? The closest thing I can find is Lapping compound.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: Flour of Emory

It is pumice or white polishing rouge.
    What do you need it for? Different colors denote the fineness of the grit.
    These colored rouges do have a soft wax or oil base.
    Look for jewerly supplies on-line. Dremmel (sic?) makes a very good red polishing rouge.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Fine flour of emory....a trusted friend who has been campaigning for many years and has had the privelage of working in several museums to include pamplin park and the Hall of Valor at New Market, told me that in his research he found that you can also use Emory Cloth...which is a very fine grade of sandpaper...found in your local hardware section.

Hope this helps,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Do you want to polish, burnish or remove a finish?
        Each product has a specific application. Some enhance a finish, others destroy.
        Even the finest grit emory cloth will scratch.
        PLEASE BE CAREFUL.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
          Fine flour of emory....a trusted friend who has been campaigning for many years and has had the privelage of working in several museums to include pamplin park and the Hall of Valor at New Market, told me that in his research he found that you can also use Emory Cloth...which is a very fine grade of sandpaper...found in your local hardware section.

Hope this helps,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04

Paul

I have emory cloth by the gross, but I want to get my hands on flour of emory, as it was an issue cleaning and polishing agent. Thanks.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox

Hope this helps,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04

Paul

You are refering to what is called lapping compound. It is basicaly the same thing that soldiers were issued, but with a silicon or petrolium base. Thank you.
            Robert Johnson

Comment

Rottenstone

is what I use to brighten up metal.......it's like a fine powder, or flour, or the stuff that's stuck on to the emory cloth......I have a cloth square and the rottenstone in a cap 'box'......gunmetal, scabbards, etc....

They used it too...

RJ Samp
              RJ Samp
              (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
              Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

We (Tidelands Archaeology) buy from these folks.

Check out their Antique & Restoration and Abrasive Compounds in the Polishing Tools & Accesories range of products. These are not rouges. Rouges have been around for centuries though.

Try to get at least an 800 grit, I think it is available up to 1400.
                A lapping compond or flour can be found at www.newmantools.com and can be applied with a grease or oil.
                Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-10-2004, 10:36 PM.
                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Robert,

You can get flour of emory (pumice stone) or rottenstone from this place http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/behpumice.htm. It's pretty cheap, about $6 for all you'll ever need probably. It's used these days to finish wood products. There are a couple different grits. I was issued some at an event in a period paper wrapper (nice touch) and it worked pretty well getting the rust off where the dew settled on the metal. Use it with a few drops of water to make a paste and apply with a rag.
                  Matt Woodburn
                  Retired Big Bug
                  WIG/GHTI
                  Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                  "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Was "flour of emory" a Federal issue thing? Was it issued to CS troops? If not, what did CS troops use?

Craddock
                    I have an answer, but just want to see what others say.
                    PATRICK CRADDOCK
                    Prometheus No. 851
                    Franklin, Tennessee
                    Widows' Sons Mess
                    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter
                      Was "flour of emory" a Federal issue thing? Was it issued to CS troops? If not, what did CS troops use?

Craddock
                      :wink_smil
                      Robert Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter

Craddock

Hey, I waiting in suspence for the answer!
                        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

If this is the same as powdered pummice, then you might try "pounce" which is a flour-fine powdered pummice used in drafting to give tracing cloth more "tooth" for ink lines.
                          Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                          Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                          Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                          Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                          Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
                            If this is the same as powdered pummice, then you might try "pounce" which is a flour-fine powdered pummice used in drafting to give tracing cloth more "tooth" for ink lines.

Tom

I will show you what it is at Oakley.
                            Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                            X