Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sources for Clay Pipes

Originally posted by Amtmann
    I was just pointing out before someone thought that all the pipes linked (vegas smokes) were acceptable. Since I've been looking into clay pipes for almost 20 years, I sort of have a little knowledge on them.

BTW, what happened to answering the original question on this thread? Rick was looking for pipe MAKERS.

This sort of reminds me why I limit my posting.
    Some replies are best presented in a private message.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
      Some replies are best presented in a private message.
      Actually, no they aren't. As I said, I've been into clay pipes for almost 20 years. How old are you again?

Again, I used to post quite a bit on the old board, but now I limit what I put up. I can see going back to just lurker status again. I'm kind of tired of too many F.M.E.s that think everyone else is wrong.

For others reading the thread Old World Fine Clays IS expensive, but they do good work. I have custom pipes made by them.

Mr. Grogan, you are probably talking about the pipe factory of Point Pleasant, Ohio.
      Last edited by Amtmann; 03-13-2004, 08:13 PM.
      Rick Bailey
      Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Rick and Garrison,

Thank you both for your posts on this matter. I think that both of you have provided good information on period pipes.

While the original post asked for suggestions for a maker, the information provided for others, with regard to types of pipes, will help them make a better decision when looking for period pipes, both original and reproductions.

I feel it is counterproductive, however, to begin to question each other's abilities as both of you seem very well informed on the subject. You might contact each other off forum and share information, learning something new yourselves.

Again, thanks for the information.
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Thank you, I consider it finished.
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Thank you guys for your knowlege and insight. I have purchased a clay pipe due in part to the knowlege on this thread. Granted I will probably break the thing getting it out of the box.... :angry_smi
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

The image on the left is almost identical to the pipe I referred to in the previous post.

Rick, Yes it is quite possible that the factory was in Ohio. The folks who sold it to me said "back east" from a location west of the Mississippi.
              Anyone know of a contemporary source for these, repro or dug items? It was a mighty good smoking pipe after it got broke in, honest to gosh.

"I feel it is counterproductive, however, to begin to question each other's abilities as both of you seem very well informed on the subject. You might contact each other off forum and share information, learning something new yourselves."

As they say in Parliament: Hear, hear. Yes, both of you have provided very good information, and I have enjoyed this thread.
              Fred Grogan
              Sykes' Regulars

Comment

There are several of the pipes from Fred's post on ebay now. Type in ''clay pipe.'' Moderators please delete this reply in a day or two.
                Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-14-2004, 11:38 PM.
                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Doggone, that was easy. Sure enough the auctions originate in Ohio.

Thanks, Garrison!
                  Fred Grogan
                  Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Working...
                  X