Stirring Description of the "TRUE" Rebel Yell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stirring Description of the "TRUE" Rebel Yell

This subject has been raked over many times, however below is a link that I encourage you all to read in its entirety. All of the Confederate veteran Magazines from 1893-1933 are available at this link and I just started with the very first issue. They are all fascinating and each issue has hundreds of pages of articles..so this will take someone a LONG time to go through all of the "goodness" contained therein. There is a TON of information to be gathered from these and again, I have just started with issue #1 and found this article on the 'Rebel Yell" describing where it truly came from...
    Forgive me if this link has been posted before..but it's just too much history to pass up passing it along again.

http://archive.org/stream/confederat...ge/14/mode/2up
    Aron Price
    AG

Re: Stirring Description of the "TRUE" Rebel Yell

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu...l?id=confedvet

Here is the link to all the available issues
    Aron Price
    AG

Comment

"each man as we passed throwing his cap high into the overhanging foliage in honor of our presence"

Great account Aron, thanks for posting these links.
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

THere are some gems in those magazine links Warren..it would take dedicated duty to go through them all...which I intend on doing over time..then it's on to the all of the issues of the National Tribune for Union Veterans that are ALSO available online.
        If you have time check out the advertisements section of the Confed. Vet. Magazines...
        Aron Price
        AG

Comment

Yes. I was blessed with a wonderful research library back home in Birmingham back in the day. I recall many friends who would spend many a Sunday pouring over the back issues for gems, etc. However, like any resource, a lot of it has to be taken in context, etc. Still, it's great.
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Hello,
            There is an interesting Youtube video on the Rebel Yell. It was well researched and performed.

Very fine gems indeed.
            James Peli

Comment

Hello,
              I found one the videos on youtube with confederate veterans giving out the ol' rebel yell. They did it all in unison then each one came up and gave their rendition of it to the best of their abilities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSq...eature=related
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Brandon Dorrill
              Armory Guards
              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
              Proud descendant of Pvt. William A. Fuller
              39th Alabama Volunteer Infantry Co. E
              [/FONT]

Comment

There was a piece on PRX radio today. A historian named Peter Solomon has done some more research. He used two known, separate recordings - then magnified and multiplied them to get what a large group of men might sound like. It was so chilling, and impressive, I had to post (left the hobby some years ago - glad to see my account is still active). (If you go to the prx radio site you can hear it, you will need to create an account to hear it on the site, but for me it was worth it.

Regards,
                Daniel Fodera
                Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

Working...
                X