Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Your Local Cannon-Photos

Fellow Gunner's:

If you have a WBTS cannon standing guard at your courthouse, local park, military base etc. Take a picture and post it here. Exclude the NPS and State Park pieces, unless it's something new or restored, that we haven't seen.

Here's mine from Fort Gordon, Richmond County, Augusta, Georgia at 29th Street and Chamberlain Ave. in front of the "Signal Towers", 2 bronze Napoleons, Revere type. NO. 270 (1863) and No. 143 (1862). Anbody got a monkey wrench? Just kidding :)!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SCTiger; 03-13-2004, 09:10 PM. Reason: folk wanted an exact location
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Support Your Local Cannon-Photos

I have some pix of a couple of naval guns on the courthouse square in Stroudsburg, PA, but I can't figure out how to post photos. The last two times I tried, nothing happened.

Help, s'il vous plait.

Ron Myzie

Comment

There are still a few guns (BIG Rodmans/Parotts ect.) at the Presidio and Mare Island, would you be interested in those?
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hello,
        This is the Napoleon our unit use. It was cast at C. Alger Foundry in 1863. All the metal on the carriage is original to the piece. Only the wood has been replaced.

Richard Morse
        2nd Battery Vermont Light Artillery
        Attached Files
        Richard M. Morse
        2nd Battery Vermont Light Artillery
        8th Vermont Vol. Infantry Regiment

Comment

NOW you post this! :o

I was in the small town of Oregon, IL. a week ago. Their courthouse/City Hall/Police Dept. has a Parrot and a Dahlgren gun in front. The Parrot is a 20lb (educated guess); the Dahlgren was of similar size, but I couldn't begin guess the bore/shell weight.

On a similar note: my alma mater, Monmouth College, had a bronze 6 lb gun from a local Civil War arty battery. It was part of an inter-college rivalry until 1978 (?) or so, when the other school stole it and dumped it in a river. It was recovered five years later; to prevent future disappearing acts, it was inserted into concrete muzzle-down (not a very conservation-friendly practice).

Last I heard, the school instaleld the gun upon a repro carriage... I have yet to go back to see how accurate the carriage is.
          John Popolis

Comment

Robert,

Yes please post those pics! That's the type of obscure guns that everyone misses. I use to drive my wife crazy driving across country on the back roads, becasue I would stop for every cannon or historical marker. :) This is a road trip of sorts.
            Gregory Deese
            Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
            "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Originally posted by SCTiger
              Robert,

Yes please post those pics! That's the type of obscure guns that everyone misses. I use to drive my wife crazy driving across country on the back roads, becasue I would stop for every cannon or historical marker. :) This is a road trip of sorts.
              I dont know what is left (I heard ugly rumors they were being moved elsewere) but I will photograph what is left. There used to be some cool post war converted 3" ordnance rifles at the Presidio....

Any way I have my Sunday roadtrip layed out :wink_smil
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Still having trouble here...

The pix are large. Just one about used up my quota of space.

I first posted these on CW Reenactors about a year and a half ago and I beleive Mark Pflum and Dan Cashin provided some identification from the photos, but I can't find the info any longer. Heaven help us when we change computers!

I'll try to park the rest of the pix in a web directory and post the url here. (Unless one of the administrators can give me more space).

Ron Myzie
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ephraim_zook; 03-15-2004, 09:16 AM. Reason: Change the wording -- the picture showed up!

Comment

Originally posted by ephraim_zook
                  Still having trouble here...

The pix are large. Just one about used up my quota of space.

I first posted these on CW Reenactors about a year and a half ago and I beleive Mark Pflum and Dan Cashin provided some identification from the photos, but I can't find the info any longer. Heaven help us when we change computers!

I'll try to park the rest of the pix in a web directory and post the url here. (Unless one of the administrators can give me more space).

Ron Myzie
                  I like how they have chained this mammoth to the base with lock and key! If someone had the equipment required to move this peice, they would have the equipment to cut the darn chain.

I moved three nice Napoleons from their monument in Detroit not too long ago, boy it was great to be able to load these beauties onto a truck and drive them down Woodward! People sure give you some funnny looks!
                  ~ Chris Hubbard
                  Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                  [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Lock & key

Notice the small stack of shells behind the gun. Someone, in the distant past, managed to pry one loose and get it stuck in the muzzle of one of the guns, most of the way in. Unless it arrived in town that way. :)

Ron Myzie

Comment

I have to find the pics but I have a couple of an 11" dahlgren which was on the Oneida at the Battle of Mobile Bay. It sits at Gate 1 Naval Station Great Lakes IL. There is even a rumor that with a little work it could even fire :D . As soon as I get the pic I will post it.

Brian Schwatka
                      Brian Schwatka
                      Co. K 3rd US Regulars
                      "Buffsticks"

Comment

I'll do a little hunting here. In Santa Barbara we have a 20# Parrot. In San Luis Obispo in the cemetary there, there's a 8" Dalghren, LIkewise in Santa Monica near the pier on the bluffs :)
                        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Greg,

Thanks for posting this thread. It gave me an opportunity to go out and check out some of these local cannons close up. These were all taken from Poughkeepsie and Rhinebeck, New York which are towns right next to mine.

The first cannon is something special. It now sits in front of the Mid-Hudson Library on Market Street in Poughkeepsie, NY. It was built for the Monitor. (Pictures 1-3)

The second cannon is in a park about a 100 or 200 feet from the Monitor gun. The park is dedicated to the soldiers of the Union who gave their life. While this cannon is fenced off it had a lot of writing on it. Most I could not see but, what I could see said "8 inc. 1847." (Pictures 4-5)

The third cannon is on the other side of this little park. It had no marker and all of the markings were painted over and near impossible to see as with pretty much all of these guns. (Pictures 6-8)

The fourth cannon is outside of the Rhinebeck Post Office. It was struck in 1845 but since it was fenced off, it was hard to get an up close view of the markings. (Pictures 9-11)

The fifth cannon is the smallest of the bunch. It is outside near the American Legion Post in Rhinebeck. It too had no markings and no marker. Can anyone tell what type of gun this is? (Pictures 12-14)

The sixth cannon is in the front of the graveyard at my church, the Dutch Reformed Church in Rhinebeck.. I do not know where the cannon came from or the type but is dedicated to General Richard Montgomery who lead one of the wings of the American army that captured Montreal and then Quebec City, where he was killed. Richard Montgomery was from Rhinebeck and was the second or third pastor of the Dutch Reformed Church there in Rhinebeck before the Revolutionary War. (Pictures 15-18)

The seventh cannon is in the Rhinebeck cemetery in front of a monument that honor the 150th NY, 128th NY, 80th NY (I am assuming this was the unit that was better known as the 20th NYSM), and the 44th NY. I could not find any legible markings nor was their a marker. However, It looked as if at the end of the cannon the word "Phil." was written there but I could not tell for sure. What type of gun is this? (Pictures 19-21)

Well that is all I could take pictures of today before the snow storm came. Hope you all enjoy.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by NY Pvt; 03-16-2004, 03:57 PM.
                          Dane Utter
                          Washington Guard

Comment

Dane
                            Do you know anybody at the cemetery that would give you permission to get that tube breach elevated and off the ground? (19-21)
                            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
                            X