The Paper Lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Paper Lady

Does anyone have the phone number for The Paper Lady so I can order boxes of cartridge tubes?
    Lane Reeder
    Co. E, 3rd AR Inf.
    Texas Brigade

Re: The Paper Lady

Mr. Reed,

You could make your own, unless you don't have enough time. I've found paper ladies I've seen aren't very accurate. I believe this Article could be of assistance:
    Making Authentic Cartridges by John Wedeward

Just a thought.
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Roll your own... The only reason I haven't lately is I was given two boxes of the blamed things... and I've found that only about two of us in the unit bother to roll our own. The paper ladies are too small. But until I finish off the Paper Ladies I'm stuck using them. Since I somehow became the designated round maker... and I'm a cheap bum.

The article by John Wedeward is a good one, also I'm told several reputable sutlers sell "round rolling kits." However as I've never bought one... I can't point you to any.

Incidently a BAD idea is to use Sticky's. A friend of mine picked up a lot of free white sticky pads that happened to be just about the perfect size. So ever industrious he made up several hundred without testing them. It was a great idea... until he tried to tear the end off of one. I'd never heard him cuss in my life... he made up for lost time.
      Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
      SUVCW Camp 48
      American Legion Post 352
      [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

For my use both on the field and in LH presnetations/demonstrations tubes from The Paper Lady are too small in diameter and too short to roll an accurate round. If you truly don't have the time or dont' choose to learn the skill, Cartidges Unlimited is a much better pre-rolled tube.

Phil Campbell
        40 rounds got me through the last 2 seasons.
        Phil Campbell

Comment

Why do all those folks that write the articles seem to specify brown paper? Almost every cartridge I've ever seen in the flesh was a very aged off white. Even aged 130+ years they still weren't anywhere near brown. Seems most of the very few brown cartridges I've seen have been CS.

Comment

I thought one of the rules on this forum was "no farbism", and after having seen The Paper Lady's product, I have to say discussing how to get in contact with her to bring her products into the field at events is pure farbism. Her cartridges are terrible. Tying off the end with string is a darned good way for her to start improving her wares.

Comment

I didn't know the Paper Lady was so farb. I'll make my own or buy some better ones. Thanks everybody.
              Lane Reeder
              Co. E, 3rd AR
              Texas Brigade

Comment

I would unhesitatingly recommend James Miller as a source for excellent pre-rolled rounds. I know that Jim doesn't make them all the time, but he should be on this board and might be able to chime in as to if he has any ready to go. He even throws in a couple "cleaner" rounds of different colored paper into his packages.

Alternately, Mike Watson/Cartridges Unlimited is a good source.
                Marc A. Hermann
                Liberty Rifles.
                MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Originally posted by TeamsterPhil
                  Cartidges Unlimited is a much better pre-rolled tube.[/I]
                  Cheers to the man from Kansas. Mike Watson not only makes a rolling tube that when filled looks remarkably like a period round, but he's a fantastic person.

The paper lady product actually makes a good tube for caps, especially when tied off at the end instead of simply folded. We talk about cartridges, but an accurate arsenal pack should contain a tube of caps, no?
                  Bill Cross
                  The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM
                    I would unhesitatingly recommend James Miller as a source for excellent pre-rolled rounds. I know that Jim doesn't make them all the time, but he should be on this board and might be able to chime in as to if he has any ready to go. He even throws in a couple "cleaner" rounds of different colored paper into his packages.

Alternately, Mike Watson/Cartridges Unlimited is a good source.
                    Do you have an address or way to contact Mr. Miller? I have used Mike Watson's cartridges for years and they are OK. I also used a guy from Irish Joes, who made great rolled and tied tubes, but he's out of the business now and serving in the military. I make my own, with my kids helping me roll and tie, but am always looking for someone else I can buy good tubes from. Incidentally, I have used the Paper Lady's stuff and they are terrible. I got some one time I swear she made from bond computer paper.

Layton Pennington
                    [FONT=Times New Roman]Layton Pennington[/FONT]
                    Member, Company of Military Historians
                    Member, Society for Military History
                    Life member, SCV
                    Life member: Veterans of Foreign Wars,
                    American Legion, Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Working...
                    X