Navy Sutlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Sutlers

I don't know if this is the place for this but if not, mods, please move. Now google has failed me so I was wondering if anyone know of any good Civil War Naval Sutlers for Navy impressions? Thanks

Re: Navy Sutlers

Hello Elijah,

The answer would be that while there are sutlers selling period navy clothing, none of those still in business make the clothing to the standards of pattern/materials/assembly acceptable to the present forum. I would suggest those seeking a sailor suit a cut above do what period tars did: make your own! Judging from some of the photographs of federal sailors, this is one impression where crudely cut and amateurishly assembled shirts and pants are indeed "period correct."

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/ppmsca.36457/

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/ppmsca.36931/

Cheers,

Archie marshall
    Tampa, FL
    James "Archie" Marshall
    The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
    Tampa, FL

Comment

Perfect thank you.

Comment

I have not dealt with them personally, but I would suggest contacting Hesson-Clothiers.
        Lewis M Robinson Jr
        Armory Guards
        Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

Steve suspended operation earlier this year. I've been pleased with my purchases. You may be able to convince him to reconsider.
          Mike Stein
          Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

You might want to contact the Ships Company in Baltimore, which conducts living history onboard Constellation. I've know several of their member for many years, and they can probably help you make your own stuff.

Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
            Elverson, PA

Comment

Yea Hesson-Clothiers is gone. =( But thanks all great ideas

Comment

Also look at The Naval Landing Party's site, they have some patterns available. You would have to scale them to the correct size, but they are good patterns
                Ken Latham
                Bon Aqua, TENN
                Independent Rifles
                Duck River Squadron

Comment

The problem with the patterns from the Naval Landing Party site are that they are of "! Of" items, and not PCE (think Leopard Skin Pants). While photos of button down collar frocks (also called over shirts or in more modern times Jumpers), they were not common and seem to have been reserved for better quality uniforms used for liberty ashore, not every day work or landing party usage. Also, trousers worn by Sailors were NOT simply dark blue infantry trousers. There is one studio photo of a supposed Sailor wearing what appear to be simply dark blue Infantry trousers, complete with buttons for braces. During our start up research, we were unable to find any evidence of this practice other than this one photo. While standard fly front trousers of normal style were the most commonly worn trousers of both Navys, there were differences in cut making them Naval style. This includes widening of the cuffs and a deeper gusset in the rear for sizing. Any way, just sayin"

Steve Hesson
                  former Prop. of Hesson Clothiers
                  maker of Naval Uniforms

Comment

How much deeper of a gusset, Steve? And what was the common range in cuff widths from your research?

-Adam C.
                    [COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=4][FONT=Book Antiqua]Adam Cripps[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Gussets ran about 6 inches from top of waistband. Cuffs averaged 26 inches around finished. Never found any with side seam pockets, Found mule ear and slit pockets set in at the waist band (think large watch pockets.

Steve Hesson
                      Last edited by sigsaye; 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X