Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125th Anniversary of 1st Manasas

Gents-

While looking for something else in the basement last night I came across these pictures I had lost from the 125th Anniversary of Manasas in July 1986. I realize these would have been a lot cooler to see last summer but despite that I thought some of you might find them interesting.

I was in the 1st Conneticut Volunteer Infantry for the event. Myself and many of my pards were "captured" that day when the Rebs counter attacked and overwhelmned us on Henry House Hill. At least thats the way I remember it anyway :confused.

While being led to the rear of the Confederate lines the crowd of spectators, which was nearby, "offered to help with the Yankee prisoners". And our captors said we were headed to "Andersonville". We asked our guards if were going to be building it! Ah the fun!

Anyway enjoy the pics!
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: 125th Anniversary of 1st Manasas

Brings back memories, that was my first event having joined my group July 4th, 1986 at Antietam NMP. I was the freshest of fresh fish having borrowed all my kit and uniform from a member who wasn't going. Ah, the memories.
    Bob Manzo
    Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2manpssas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	223572

Seeing those pictures makes me sweat!
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I remember watching the Classic Images 125th Video and then getting into the hobby at the end of the 125th cycle.
        Those were the days.
        It even "looked" better then than now in SOME instances.
        Maybe it's the 'innocence of back then' colored glasses in terms of the hobby...who knows.
        Thanks for sharing these. Sure wish I could find those 125th Videos Again.
        I'd love to have them online or on DVD format.
        Aron Price
        AG

Comment

I am glad you guys are enjoying the pictures. I was just a 16 year old fresh fish myself for that event. And I was wide eyed about everything. I had only enlisted the previous month in June. So I guess I "ranked" you as a fresh fish by a couple of days Bob :)

A lot of memories stick out from that weekend. Its amazing the things that remain with you and the things you forget. I do remember it was hot but I don't recall it being oppresively warm. It probably was HOT but being 16 at the time the weather didn't affect me as much. I remember the ticks were horrible and it was a long walk for water and portos.

The battle itself as I recall we advanced over this hill and when we crossed to the other side we could see the Rebs. We had to wait forever to fire our first volley. I remember we kept advancing and when we were fairly close the Rebs poured a volley into us and not a one of us dropped! Our officier was a little PO'ed that no one took a hit after such a massive volley and yelled out "thanks guys!" One of the rank and file yelled back, "he wasn't going to take a hit with a loaded gun" and another guy said, "hey we just got here!" LOL! Ha Ha. All good fun! I don't tremember our officer saying too much after that exchange.

One of my pards did get the commerative video and than made copies for several of us :) They were pretty rough and the picture bounced all over from the bad 80s VCR tracking. I can't remember what happened to my copy. I may still have it somewhere. I am going to look for it. The charge of the Confederates onto Henry House Hill was pretty cool as I recall.
          Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I need to check my video collection, I may have Gettysburg 125
            Bob Manzo
            Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

watched a youtube of 125th Classic Images Gburg..the neverending wall of blue marching was mesmerizing.
              Aron Price
              AG

Comment

I will have to swing by Youtube and check the Gettysburg one out. Alas my copy of 1st Manasas is MIA.

Most likely it was reconditioned for use for Barney unbeknownst to me at some point.
                Louis Zenti

Comment

Originally posted by Cumpston1862 View Post
                  Alas my copy of 1st Manasas is MIA.

Most likely it was reconditioned for use for Barney unbeknownst to me at some point.
                  Been there! Here is a photo of the 7th Louisiana marching out to the battle area on Sunday (the nucleus of this was Jack King's unit; I was in the 4th Ky in this battalion), and a portion of the Confederate line.
                  Attached Files
                  Greg Walden

Comment

Ditto. With 79th NY, Sherman's Brigade (2nd Wisconsin, 13th NY, 69th NY & 79th NY). And Oh Yez, it was hot . . . but one incredible event.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by roundshot; 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM.
                    Bob Williams
                    26th North Carolina Troops
                    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Gents-

While looking for something else in the basement last night I came across these pictures I had lost from the 125th Anniversary of Manasas in July 1986. I realize these would have been a lot cooler to see last summer but despite that I thought some of you might find them interesting.

I was in the 1st Conneticut Volunteer Infantry for the event. Myself and many of my pards were "captured" that day when the Rebs counter attacked and overwhelmned us on Henry House Hill. At least thats the way I remember it anyway :confused.

While being led to the rear of the Confederate lines the crowd of spectators, which was nearby, "offered to help with the Yankee prisoners". And our captors said we were headed to "Andersonville". We asked our guards if were going to be building it! Ah the fun!

Anyway enjoy the pics!
                      Louis,

That first picture is of the 3rd KY. They were/are based out of western ky. They are the unit I started with in 99 and are a good group of guys. I could pick out a few poeple I knew who were still in the group when I joined.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!
                      Dustin C Herr

Yocona Rip Raps
                      "Res Ipsa Loquitur."

Comment

Seeing all these pictures really brings back some memories guys. Thanks!

Bob- The picture you posted was especially interesting for me. I would have been a little further to the right down the line but I remember that tree very well. In fact the tirade our officer had over us not taking any hits was in that area and probably a short time before your photo was taken :)

Dustin- thanks for giving me a unit to put with the picture. Do you happen to know what unit the 3rd Kentucky was portraying that day?

Incidently when that picture was taken it was before the battle and the Rebs decided to march by our camp in a review. Needless to say they greatly outnumbered us Federals. Many of the older guys were in awe by the sheer numbers the Rebs had based on that review. It was probably 3-1 or maybe even 4-1. Some of the guys wanted to do a Federal review to answer the Rebs march past us but that was quickly squelched by many guys saying our brief review would be a joke and encourage jeers...:) oh well.

It's great to hear and see other perspectives from that event!
                        Louis Zenti

Comment

Here's a few more from '86 that may be of interest.
                          Attached Files
                          Bob Williams
                          26th North Carolina Troops
                          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Seeing all these pictures really brings back some memories guys. Thanks!

Bob- The picture you posted was especially interesting for me. I would have been a little further to the right down the line but I remember that tree very well. In fact the tirade our officer had over us not taking any hits was in that area and probably a short time before your photo was taken :)

Dustin- thanks for giving me a unit to put with the picture. Do you happen to know what unit the 3rd Kentucky was portraying that day?

Incidently when that picture was taken it was before the battle and the Rebs decided to march by our camp in a review. Needless to say they greatly outnumbered us Federals. Many of the older guys were in awe by the sheer numbers the Rebs had based on that review. It was probably 3-1 or maybe even 4-1. Some of the guys wanted to do a Federal review to answer the Rebs march past us but that was quickly squelched by many guys saying our brief review would be a joke and encourage jeers...:) oh well.

It's great to hear and see other perspectives from that event!
                            I don't know who the 3KY was portraying that day, as I didn't become a member till Shiloh '87. I spent this event with Nick Medich's company, the old 154th TN. In looking at this picture, that's John Weaver in the Captain's position. John would go on to portray AS Johnston at 125 Shiloh. I also see my old friend Bill Jones. I love this picture. Thanks for the memories.

Scott Bumpus

Comment

A long time since I've actually seen horses pulling artillery at a reenactment.
                              Mike McGee
                              Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
                              Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
                              Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
                              Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
                              KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
                              Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Working...
                              X