Button Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Button Identification

A friend of mine was doing some digging at a private civil war encampment location in East Tennessee (North East of Knoxville about 35 miles near Cumberland Gap). In a somewhat small location he found a couple of US buckles (not in good shape), a couple of gun pieces (in bad shape), and several buttons (in relatively good shape). He found a great deal of US general service eagle buttons, a few Federal Eagles with the I in the shield and then some random little tiny buttons....and here comes the question. The small buttons were a little bit smaller than what the federal great coat cape buttons or the buttons on the sides of forage caps would be. They have a 6 point star and what looks to me like a D in the middle of the star on the button. They are shanked buttons and have a makers mark on the back but I can't identify it. He wants to have an idea of what he found before he allows me to photograph them or I would post pictures. Any clues? Is there any other tell tell signs that I should look for that might help??
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: Button Identification

No picture, no ID. It's really hard to identify uncommon buttons with out a picture. They could be school or civilian buttons. Looks like he wants the cart before the horse.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I agree with Jim. It's hard to even make a guess without seeing anything.

But in regards to a guess; Don't the Masons use a six pointed star on some of their stuff...?

Here is a link to a SEVEN pointed star on ebay.

And another button from an on-line dealer.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. I will try and see if I can convince him to let me post a picture after work.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Has been awhile since I started the thread. The owner of the button had a sudden death in the family and he was not able to discuss buttons for some time. Yesterday I ran into him and showed him the pictures posted above and we compared them to his buttons. His buttons are a less distinct star...they look more like a gear than a star and they have a distinct C in the middle. Still trying to convince him to let me post a picture...but he is a product of the Great Depression Era and is very careful with his valuables.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Luke-

Could they be North Carolina starburst buttons?

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
            Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
            Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
            Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Working...
            X