March Camp Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Camp Chase

..arrived yesterday. Couple of pieces of general interest for both military and civs. types on quilts and a review of PEC mens hairstyles/facial hair.

On the tonsorial authenticity front, a statistical analysis of hundreds of period photographs of US and CS sojers resulted in some interesting conclusions. Not to steal the authors thunder, but ponytails and "mullets" (AKA "Kentucky Waterfalls") BAD..visible ears GOOD. Generally, "ZZTop" beards (past the top jacket button) BAD, clean-shaven for enlisted soldiers GOOD.

Also interestingly, an article written in attempt to answer the age-old question "Which is better...Armi-sport or Euroarms?" Also, a rather esoteric but well-written and informative piece on reenacting with a repop Henry rifle.

IMO, worth the purchase price.

Cheers,

Re: March Camp Chase

I ripped through the issue when I should have been knitting socks for the kind and patient Mr. Hoffman, (civilians can be slackers too )and am already waiting with abated breath for the next one.

Last time I left the conversation with Frank over his long-time quilt project, he was looking at such options as a wool batting instead of a cotton one, or doing the item as a "tied" quilt, a method that is period, and one which makes for a quicker finished product than close hand quilting. I sent some cochineal dyed yarn for his efforts--this lot somewhat more subdued and dignified than Tim Prince's whanging pink sleeping hat. Congratulations to Frank on an excellent article. I'm looking forward to seeing his finished quilt.

In looking at the larger issue of some military events/organizers prohibiting quilts for a variety of reasons, I'm reminded of a thought expressed some years ago by Nicky Hughes "a walk through the camps indicates that we are doing an excellent job of reenacting 1930's Okie Dustbowl farmers, but an awfully poor job of the reenacting material culture of the Civil War. "

Its a failing I see so often in civilian areas as well, when any quilt, be it Grandmother's made of 1930's era flour sacks, or a new department store/designer fabric with somebody's idea of country prints on it, seems to be thought a fair depiction of period quilts. In reality, the duplication of such an item is a real journey--we have a difficult time finding appropriate documented dress prints, never mind having enough scraps left over to make a period reproduction quilt.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

[QUOTE=Spinster]I ripped through the issue when I should have been knitting socks for the kind and patient Mr. Hoffman, (civilians can be slackers too )and am already waiting with abated breath for the next one.

Last time I left the conversation with Frank over his long-time quilt project, he was looking at such options as a wool batting instead of a cotton one, or doing the item as a "tied" quilt, a method that is period, and one which makes for a quicker finished product than close hand quilting. I sent some cochineal dyed yarn for his efforts--this lot somewhat more subdued and dignified than Tim Prince's whanging pink sleeping hat. Congratulations to Frank on an excellent article. I'm looking forward to seeing his finished quilt.

In looking at the larger issue of some military events/organizers prohibiting quilts for a variety of reasons, I'm reminded of a thought expressed some years ago by Nicky Hughes "a walk through the camps indicates that we are doing an excellent job of reenacting 1930's Okie Dustbowl farmers, but an awfully poor job of the reenacting material culture of the Civil War. "

Hey, if you ever need first person-accounts on that Okie dustbowl farmer stuff, my mom's still living :wink_smil

Seriously though, I agree with Pat Craddock's contention cited in the article that wool blankets just make more sense given a quilts' inability to insulate when wet. Given a choice, I'd recommend the blanket everytime. Case in point, at Gaines this year I awoke in a casemate after the monsoon had abated to spy a young soldier who was sheltering with us surly artillery types who had slumbered all night curled up in his blanket in the middle of a sizeable puddle. Note: He didn't lie down to sleep in the puddle, it occured all around him while he slept as the water leaked in. Had he been wrapped in a quilt, I suspect he'd have succumbed to the chills. Blankets also dry out much faster than quilts.

cheers,

Comment

I also liked this month's issue very much, though I was slighty confused about the article on hardtack. It didnt sound army issue to me, though very tasty! Was it just a novelty thing?

Comment

Originally posted by bonniegreenflag
          I also liked this month's issue very much, though I was slighty confused about the article on hardtack. It didnt sound army issue to me, though very tasty! Was it just a novelty thing?
          Yep--sit down with a pencil and the ingredients list. Read the article and note when he tell you to "remove" something you previously stirred in. You'll find in the end you are stirring water, flour, and maybe a little bitty amount of salt--in other words, the basic hardtack receipt.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

"Also, a rather esoteric but well-written and informative piece on reenacting with a repop Henry rifle."

I give them credit for some apparent improvement but this kind of article still shows them to be off the mark. In big, old, broad statement terms, Henry rifles don't belong in most reenactment scenarios. IMO, it's the classic case of "I want to carry a Henry because I think they're cool and so I'll write a detailed article about it in order to justify carrying it regardless of scenario."

To be fair, the Watchdog recently did the exact same thing with "CS Richmond" muskets which also, IMO, don't belong in most reenactment scenarios.

IMO, the Great Divide remains the following: Do I do what I want or do I do what the historical record indicates?
            Glenn Milner

Comment

Mrs. Lawson
              I have finished the project and have not forgotten about that picture I owe you. The roll of film is in the process of being developed... soon.
              I did tie the quilt and used wool batting I will try it out at Mansfield and plan to roll it with a floor cloth incase it...(not going to jinx the event)

I'm not going to aruge the quilt vs. blanket issue. Come early spring or late fall I'll be the first to bring a wool blanket.
              Fortunately the Missouri State Guard was especially active during the summer of 1861 and don't feel a wet quilt is as much a safety or comfort issue in the middle of July and early August. If it rains at one of those events I can always convert the quilt into a shelter.

I will confess that I wrote it during a bout of boredom last summer - the wife was 9 months pregnate and I was stuck at home (or close to it) a couple weeks. Phil Campbell can attest that bad things can happen when I get bored. Just the same no one seemed to be able to pinpoint any war time reference and some of my pards had professed a complete lack of knowledge about patterns and such.

Glad some of you enjoyed it.
              Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth
              When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy
                I'm not going to aruge the quilt vs. blanket issue. Come early spring or late fall I'll be the first to bring a wool blanket.
                Frank Aufmuth
                While not arguing the specific issue, quilt v blanket brings up an important point--where do we draw the line in an accurate depiction of the hardship and misery of the war?

To me, the record shows that quilts were used by some soldiers in some areas as a poor substitute for blankets--and, like many wartime items, from confederate candles to ersatz coffee to unmordanted period dyes, were a sad sorry substitute for goods that were normally available.

Most of us take the quite sensible route that health and safety come first--the burden falls doubly on organizers to look to the safety of all participants. And, just as I'd choose ,as a civilian, to NOT drink acorn coffee, and to NOT use period arsenic-based dyes to replicate a particular dye color, I'd certainly be looking for a blanket instead of quilt for a soldier's impression.

But let's be clear that the record does reflect the use of quilts for soldiers as yet another wartime substitute, and the poor solution offers us yet another window into the hardships of the period.
                Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the correction, I was puzzled for a moment.

Comment

Cover Photo

I found the cover photo interesting after Mark J's article in the last issue of "The Watchdog". Which reenactor, if any, is performing Rest On ARMS correctly?

{Mark - No fair if you answer this one!} :wink_smil

Also, regarding the cover photo: Is it just me, or does the guy on the right have dreads? :tounge_sm
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Regarding the propriety of carrying Henry rifles in CW reenacting scenarios and the tone of Terry Schultz's article...

I suspect the reason why Terry prefers to carry a Henry and why he appears to advocate it in the article is that, other than te "Winter 1864" event held here in western NY (where Terry also lives) the local reenactors are virtually unaware of the concept of scenario-driven events. Around here it's fine to show up to an event--even if it has an alleged historical scenario (rarely made known to the participants beforehand, or even during the event)--in Zouave regalia, as dismounts, as sharpshooters, and carrying any manner of weapon as long as its not a two-bander or modern black-powder rifle, and they generally frown on pistols for enlisted men aroun here.

Do I agree with the concept of "bring whatever you want"? Heck no! However, that's the environment the author of that article has always reenacted in. Not an excuse, but perhaps something of an explanation.

Comment

"To be fair, the Watchdog recently did the exact same thing with "CS Richmond" muskets which also, IMO, don't belong in most reenactment scenarios."

Glen

I am curious to know your reasons behind this. Keep in mind I do not own a Richmond nor plan on owning a Richmond.
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
                          "To be fair, the Watchdog recently did the exact same thing with "CS Richmond" muskets which also, IMO, don't belong in most reenactment scenarios."

Glen

I am curious to know your reasons behind this. Keep in mind I do not own a Richmond nor plan on owning a Richmond.
                          Glenn's doubts are well-founded as the number of these arms manufactured, although larger than other Confederate-produced arms, is not known. To speak in broad tems here, there is a fair deal of speculation involved in attributing issue dates and it is probably not accurate for many engagements pre-1863 in the East nor many battles in the Western theater. Added to these difficulties is the fact that nomenclature of the collector and reenactor varies significantly from contemporary records.
                          David Culberson
                          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Re: Cover Photo

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols
                            I found the cover photo interesting after Mark J's article in the last issue of "The Watchdog". Which reenactor, if any, is performing Rest On ARMS correctly?

{Mark - No fair if you answer this one!} :wink_smil

Also, regarding the cover photo: Is it just me, or does the guy on the right have dreads? :tounge_sm
                            None are I would guess. Shouldn`t their covers (hats) be removed?

Comment

Re: Cover Photo

Originally posted by TJ Markert
                              None are I would guess. Shouldn`t their covers (hats) be removed?
                              Incorrect. Please try again! :D
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                              X