antique silk wrinkled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antique silk wrinkled

Seeking advice on how to relax wrinkles, without using steam, on a piece of silk I have that is about 70 years old. There is writing and stamping on the silk that I am concerned will be ruined if it was steamed or placed in direct sunlight. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Alexander Vasquez
    Late of Co C, 15 IA

Re: antique silk wrinkled

Alex-

My understanding is that steam is the best method for "relaxing wrinkles" in silk and older textiles. Sheila Hanke with the Iowa Battle Flags Lab in Des Moines is a great resource for this conversation if you haven't already contacted her. At the very least she may be able to give you the pluses and minuses of using steam. Or perhaps she can help you decide on another method.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Mr. Vasquez,
      Although the members of the AC community love to be helpful and will probably offer advise,
      unless they have some expertise with textiles, I would be a little leery.
      A better idea might be to contact your state historical society and talk to their
      textile curator. Or you might contact organizations such as ALHFAM or MOMCC
      and ask if they could recommend a curator or conservator who would offer advise.
      Sincerely,
      Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
      John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. I've got several inquiries out to various museums throughout the US as well as three here in Iowa. I'll contact the ALHFAM and MOMCC straightaway. Last thing I want to do is wreck the artifact...again, thanks for the new leads!

Alexander Vasquez
        Late of Co. C, 15 IA

Comment

Excellent advice Madam.

I base my suggestion on my coversations with the Iowa Historical Society Staff which the Iowa Battle Flags Lab is a part of and Mrs. Hanke is the lead person for the project. But my advice/suggestion is only that and should be discussed with qualified people in that field absolutely.

While I have worked and continue to do so in the Iowa Battle Flags Lab Project I am by no means any authority. I only meant to give guidance on who to contact in that regard.

With such a historical piece I would get the proffesional opinions from several sources by all means.
          Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Hi Alexander,

I'll echo Mrs. Crabb and Mr. Zenti suggestions. I'll also suggest the AIC as a resource: http://www.conservation-us.org/ The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. The "Resource Center" section is great, it even has "Find a Conservator" link.

I'm in the part of Conservation called "Preventive Conservation", a pretty much self-explanitory name. :) A basic principle of it is to leave something be, especially if you aren't sure what may happen if you do do something.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out!

Best,
            [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
            X