Change to the Forage Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change to the Forage Cap

I am seeking information (general orders, etc.) on why the US government switched from the Hardee Hat to the Forage Cap as the standard hat for Volunteers. Used to have the general orders that mandated it, but can't seem to find it. Also, if anyone has any documentation for the reasoning behind the switch that would be helpful too. Any help that can be provided would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan McIntyre
    124th New York State Volunteers
    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
    Joseph H. Johnston
    March 16th 1863
    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
    Henry M Howell
    March 8 1863
    In camp Near Falmouth

Re: Change to the Forage Cap

I'm not sure that there was an actual change, more likly it was simply a matter of circumstances. Here in the far west volunteers were outfitted and equipped the same as regulars.

From what I've been able to gather it seems the pre-war policy was for new recruits to be issued issued fatigue coat and caps at the beginning of their enlistment. The more expensive uniform coat and hat were issued after recruits were accustomed to service life. With the early 90 day volunteers there wouldn't be any no need to issue the second uniform. Additionally some volunteer units were outfitted by their state prior to transitioning to Federal service, thus initial uniforms varied by state budgets and preferences. Many volunteer units balked at the more formal uniforms and disciplines of regular service and thus were never transitioned to the regulation military uniform from the more comfortable, easy to care for fatigue uniforms. Other volunteer units embraced military service whole heatedly and embraced the regulation uniform as a badge of honor.

As with many Civil War notions, this isn't a one size fits all issue.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

This may help. http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancon.../SSHT-0030.pdf It mentions General Order #13.

General Order No. 13 stated:
      For fatigue purposes Forage Caps, of pattern in the Quartermaster
      General's Office, will be issued, in addition to hats,
      at the rate of one a year. Dark blue cloth, with a cord or
      welt around the crown of the colors used to distinguish the
      several arms of service, and yellow metal letters in front to
      designate companies. For unassigned recruits dark blue cord
      or welt around the crown and without distinctive badge.
      Commissioned officers may wear caps of the same pattern
      with dark blue welt and the distinctive ornament, in front,
      of the corps and regiment.""

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it may help.
      Timothy J. Koehn
      Boone's Louisiana Battery
      Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
      http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Hallo!

A complicated evolution, but in brief and to over generalize....

The previous cap had been the stiff M1854.
        While on his two yearish European study tour between 185401856 George McClellan observed a number of countries' armies. As a result he came back with notions of reforming a less cumbersome cap that would be more convenient for fatique and field wear rather than the stiff M1854 pattern. He said
        that cavalrymen should have a "...police cap, without visor, and of such a nature that it can be folded up and carried in the pouch [saddlebags], or wherever convenient: the Scothch (sic) bonnet, Turkish fez, a Greek cap of knit or woven wool, a flexible cap of the shape of the old forage cap---any would answer."
        McClellan went on to mention the French forage cap wit a conical top and large straight visor as another type that would also meet this need.

Mcclellan's report was published in 1857.

MEanwhile at West Point, teh commander of SAppers, Miners. and Pontoniers asked that his organization there be given a cap similar to that given to teh cavalry in 1855, or that the old M1839 forage cap be reinstated, for fatigue wear. eecretary of War Jophn Floyd agreed, and authroized a sample of a new cap to be done. TWo prototypes, based on the French chasseur cap were authorized for trial, one at $1 each with a high crown, and the other priced at
        .87 1/2 with a lower crown. The taller one was selected.

Schuylkill Arsenal produced a batch sufficient for the Engineers, with the first 74 ging to Fort Leavenworth along with matching cap covers.

LAte in the summer of 1858, Brevet Major William French commanding at Fort McHenry noted tha this meaning were removing the stifffener linings from their M1854 caps "Tp wear on fatogue." Becasue they looked bad, FRench asked for something better. He ahd four samples made up one for artillery, cavalry, infantry, and staff and sent them to the Adj. General.
        Somehow, even though they went outside of "channels," the Sec. of War saw them, approved, and sent them on to the Quartermaster General.

Approval for adoption came in the War Department's General Order No. 13, dated November 20, 1858.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hallo!

Oh....

CW "volunteers" are much more complicated, as they NUG "chose" (inside our outside of Federal "regular" issuances) so there are units with just caps, units with just dress hats, and units with both.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for your replies, your answers have been most informative. (Tim that article was great!)

Any speculation on why units of the Army of the Potomac wore in general the fatigue cap, while western army's the 1858 dress "Hardee" hat? Or is that just an over generalized assumption?
            Ryan McIntyre
            124th New York State Volunteers
            Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
            Joseph H. Johnston
            March 16th 1863
            Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
            Henry M Howell
            March 8 1863
            In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

Actually, the western federal armies seemed to prefer any brimmed hats, military or civilian...it just so happened there was a ready supply of dress hats from the friendly quartermaster waiting to be reshaped into countless configurations. As to why they preferred hats...the usual wisdom is that the largely rural nature of midwesterners made them accustomed to wearing hats, and they valued the protection from the sun and rain a hat can afford while active campaigning over great distances in the west. In fact, by 1864-65 many eastern troops depicted in photos start to look distinctly western with brimmed hats.
              Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
              X