1863 Enfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1863 Enfield

I am looking for information on an 1863 Enfield of my father in laws. It was his grandfathers, but he is not sure more than that. His grandfather was in the Utah National Gaurd as a Lt Coronel, and his father was ( as the family story goes the first general, but i havent been able to confirm that).

The question is the markings on the lock plate. All the ones I have seen have a crown, this on has an eagle on the back part. On the front, it only has 1863. There is no "tower" or Enfield or anything else. The barrel has two marks "25", that I read refer to the caliber being .577. There are some other marks, but I can't tell more about them. The story also is this is a smooth bore, no rifling. I looked, but i could not see any rifling; from what I read all were rifled barrels. The cailber is right, at least a 58 caliber minie ball fits about right. I have a not very good video of the gun here:

Cory Christensen
    Last edited by JimKindred; 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM.
    Cory Christensen

Re: 1863 Enfield

Hallo!

Any chance of posting some pictures?

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The only pictures I have right now is the video at http://youtu.be/kzmeaiMY-1w

It is not very good, but you can for a second see the eagle mark. I will try to get some better pictures.

thanks
      Cory Christensen

Comment

Could this be US Contractor Enfield?
        Bob Manzo
        Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Hallo!

I will await pictures, as my monitor is too small, grainy, and fuzzy to get a good look.

From what poor glimpse I get, it is reminiscent of the ones assembled by the New York Company of John P. Moore Sons, Colt's NY agents who after haivng a proposal for Enfields rejected by the Ordnance Department, got a second chance in 1862 delivering some 1,080 "American rifles, Enfield pattern." Followed by some sales to one ro two states in 1863.

I don't want to write too much in error.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91638912@N05/

Explore cchriste1’s 14 photos on Flickr!

I took some better photos. These have all the marks I could find. note the one that is 3799 is by the front site on the barrel.

thanks for your help
            Cory Christensen

Comment

Also, this rifle barrel probably has not been cleaned for many many years and has a layer of white crud. Anyone suggest what to do? should it be cleaned or just left alone? If it should be cleaned, what should be used?

thanks
              Cory Christensen

Comment

Mssr. Schmidt is quite right. It's a Moore, by the diagnostic lock plate markings...Generally they had very deep rifling, (apparantly shot out or more likely abraided away to use for shot loads), barrels and ramrods an inch longer than standard Enfields. Very cool that there might be a family-use connection...

Sincerely,

Dean Nelson
                1st Maryland Infantry, CSA, N-SSA

Comment

Hallo!

Thanks for the images.

Yes, it is an "M Rifle."

More than likely, the wnitish-gray "crud" in the bore is uncleaned-out blackpowder residue. It probably has already done its dirty work being acidic, but IMHO it would help stabilze things if it were cleaned out and the bore oiled or greased.

It is not uncommon to also find that it is "loaded," with its last charge as these family guns or surplus guns are often used as shotguns and one finds old newspaper as wadding in the bore with shot.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

thanks
                    I am concerned this is still loaded; i put a dowel in the barrel and it stops at 35 inches. The end of the barrel is 39 inches. Earlier i had a light on the nipple and could not see any light in the barrel, so i have been thinking it might be loaded.
                    What in the world do you do to unload a gun like this?
                    Help!
                    I am sure the family had no idea it could be loaded.
                    Cory Christensen

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
                      It is not uncommon to also find that it is "loaded," with its last charge as these family guns or surplus guns are often used as shotguns and one finds old newspaper as wadding in the bore with shot.
                      In such cases it never hurts to squirt some penetrating oil into breech through the cone to neutralize any powder that may remain.
                      Jim Kindred

Comment

Once bought a 42 model with two loads of bird shot still in the barrel. Drenched the load with Hopps black powder solvent and then proceeded to worm out the charges. The last charge dropped on the floor and little lead balls went everywhere. If the load is a pellet load it is no problem to worm it out. Just take layer by layer. If it is a bullet it will be much harder. The breech plug may have to be removed.
                        Jim Mayo
                        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
                        X