Cap and rifle questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap and rifle questions

I'm planning on buying a new forge cap, but I wanted to know what is PEC for a eastern and western federal from mid 62-mid 64, a type 1 or type 2? I wanted to know also how many coats of boiled linseed oil should I put on my rifle after taking the farb finsh off and how many days should I do it too? Also should I be puting the linseed oil on in the shade or direct sun light, how should I apply the chemical stripper that takes the farb finsh off and what do I use to put the linseed oil on too? One more thing, a list of do's and do not's would be nice too.

PS. How are Nick ************s forge caps like the ones sold by the Skillet licker?
    Last edited by ; 03-17-2004, 12:07 PM.

Re: Cap and rifle questions

Sean

Wad the term type1 and type 2 up and throw them as far away as possible! They are not period terms and you should erase them from your vocabulary.

If you want a really good cap go to: http://www.cjdaley.com/foragecaps.htm

and pick one you like.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

So the forge caps that authentic vendors are using were used through the whole war?

Comment

Originally posted by hardtack1864
        So the forge caps that authentic vendors are using were used through the whole war?

YES! Search for "Forage Cap" on this forum ...

or

read this thread:

It will answer your questions...

And like Robert said, Joel Bohy's caps are the best.
        Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
        – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Okay, thank you and I typed in forge cap instead forage cap when searching, been around the blacksmith shop to much :tounge_sm !

Comment

I am pretty shure that most of the contractors being reproduced at the moment were fairly early contracts (1862) and they most certainly very prolific contracts.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: Now a rifle defarbing questions

I wanted to know also how many coats of boiled linseed oil should I put on my rifle after taking the farb finsh off and how many days should I do it too?
              As many coats as it takes. Use a mix of 1 part Boiled Linseed Oil, 1 part spar varnish, and 1 part turpentine to thin it. There are numerous recipes. Pick one that appeals to you. 50-50 Varathane #66 Natural Oil Finish and BLO is the one my gunsmith friend uses. The first several coats will soak right in. Slather it on, let sit for 5-10 minutes, and wipe it off. Repeat a couple times. You will see the wood slow down absorbing the oil. After you've wiped the last coat off, set it aside to air dry for at least a week. Two weeks is better. After that, you will do light coats rubbed on by hand, with light sanding using 220-grit wet-or-dry sand paper in between. After several coats, switch to 400-grit sandpaper, then to 600-grit. Sand lightly.

Also should I be puting the linseed oil on in the shade or direct sun light,
              I work in my garage, so I guess shade is the answer there. Fresh air is more important than sunlight, since the linseed oil requires oxygen to dry.

how should I apply the chemical stripper that takes the farb finsh off
              Remove everything that is not wood. Hang the stock from the ceiling or a tree branch, spray on the stripper, and let it work. Ez-Off works quite well, but follow the instructions for whatever stripper you happen to have.

and what do I use to put the linseed oil on too?
              Maybe a rag or brush for the first coat, and sandpaper and your hand after that. Be aware, a rag soaked in linseed oil is a combustion hazard. Leave it outside when you're done with it. (As the linseed oil hardens, it gives off heat, and if the rags are somewhere the heat can build up, like in the bottom of a trashcan, they can reach their combustion point. Leaving them somewhere the heat can be removed by convection will prevent this from happening.)

One more thing, a list of do's and do not's would be nice too.
              DO go sparingly with the oil.
              DO coat the stock evenly.
              DON'T go nuts with the sandpaper.
              DON'T burn the house down.

I'm sure others will have more to add. This is one of those things where each person's experience will vary.

Best of luck,

Michael
              Michael McComas
              drudge-errant

Comment

Working...
              X