X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern reenacting arms vs original arms

Hallo!

In brief....

At the "factory" or arsenal inspectors were set up to inspect, measure, gauge, etc., key parts ,sub-assemblies, and the assembled gun. (Often times you will find a single inspector's letter stamped on the part or "C" for condemned parts.

Then before the government accepted a firearm, it received a final inspection and if passing was so "cartouched" that it had done so.

In the Modern World, reproduction arms suffr from lack of consistant Quality COntrol which is one of the ways prices are set- the more QC, NUG the more you pay. For example, a gun from the same maker sold by say Cabela's versus Cimarron Firearm Company.

I wrongly beleived that the meteoric rise of Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) with its slicked action speed firings against the clock would have changed the traditional repro firearms market built on two counts:

1. Reenactors NUG accept and keep buying reproduction that are not exact or even exacting copies of original arms that are often barely functional but work wel enough in the low volume firing of reenacting

and

2. Reenactors NUG fire a very low volume of blanks

With CAS folks eclipsing CW folks in numbers, I had incorectly thought that the need for high volume fore reproducitons would have forced a market change.
    But it did not. Instead, as had replacement barrels largely taken over for more accurate competitive shooting in the N-SSA, an "after market" for "slicking services," timing and tuning, spring replacement, etc., etc., rose up to the meet the need or demand- unfortunately allowing the Italian markers to continue with their old business model unthreatened. (With the the slight nod to barrel accuracy and overall "authenticity" recently by Pedersoli.)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I am curious, how many rounds a year do you think the average Civil War soldier fired? How much was fired during training?

Steve
      Steve Sheldon

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, a hard to impossible number to quantify.

I guess, one could go after a very rough number by looking at the total number of cartridges issued, fudge for loss, damage, or dumping.. and divide that by "five" years to get a almost meaningless number average.

Target practice was a hit or miss concept. In brief and to over generalize.. the government NUG considered it a waste of money so depending on the officers some did and many did not. IIRC, it was not sorted out until after the Indian Wars.

One exception I know of was Fort Bramlett, and earthworks fort overlooking a bend in the Kentucky River protecting Louisville from Confederate gun boats. Outside of the works was an area" loved by local metal detectors and surface hunters for the numbers of Minies that washed out or could be dug out of the embankment back stop.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I just had this idea that "of course" weapons used in the Civil War would be fired a lot more than what we use, but maybe that is an incorrect assumption.

If a fellow made it through the war fighting in 10 engagements (is this a realistic number?) and got off, say, 40 shots per engagement (?) you are talking about only 400 shots total, and that assumes he had the same weapon the whole time.

That's about 3 months of use of one of my BP guns.

Maybe we are more demanding than I assumed.

Steve
          Steve Sheldon

Comment

Working...
          X