Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Preservation Fund Raisers.

Hello All!

I just wanted to ask a for ideas that have worked from various units and individuals on this forum about Preservation fund raisers. I would have posted this in the Preservation folder but I think that is best left for actual Preservation news. My basic question is this. What have you or your organization done to raise funds for Preservation? What worked? Any and all ideas are welcome. Looking for ideas for a local project but I figured others could benefit from ideas as well. Or at least I hope! Thanks in advance.
    Chris Owens

[B][URL="http://http://www.civilwar.org/"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]CWPT[/URL][/B]
    [/FONT][email]ooschris@hotmail.com[/email]

Re: Ideas for Preservation Fund Raisers.

For a local project, look for a local feature to highlight--something that highlights the thing being preserved:

Land: Can you find a period image of the site. Woodcuts look especially good on a tshirt. Action images are even better, the period image of a US Regular with upraised weapon, protecting a beautiful woman during an Indian attack has been a high volume seller for the 1812 War Fort Mims site. The image and story galvanized the nation at the time, and it's still powerful today.

The 'selling a square inch' deed. Make it showy and fancy, in a period font. Reducing your land cost to the inch or the foot can be a powerful motivator to illustrate to the small donor that their contribution counts.

Flags: A before and after picture of a conserved flag, especially if there is a powerful story,
    looks good on tshirt or matted print ready for framing

Special dinner: offer a period menu in a period setting, possibly with dancing. Include a silent auction with donated items. Lighten up on 'authenticity' and go for the local non-reenacting market. Modern Daddy in his rented tux can be motivated to pay well for a Father-Daughter dinner. You'll see little girls in bad prom dresses having a good time and maybe getting interested in history.

Small reenacting items: find something little to make and sell that enhances the impression. I'm making a US Sanitary Commission item now that has proved popular with both Reenactors and the Public.

Fried Pies: Soldiers will buy them. Be especially careful with food based fundraisers and food safety. Don't be like the recent unit that did not deal properly with that, and put dozens of reenactors and spectators in the hospital with food poisoning.

Go for the corporate dollar. If your local nonprofit has all it's paperwork in order, some employers will match employee donations.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Re: Ideas for Preservation Fund Raisers.

Oh--and the labor intensive but pretty fun 'reenactor day camp'.

Partner with the site to offer a day camp summer program--single days or a designated week.

Drill with Quaker Rifles.

Teach fire building, fire safety. Cook a meal.

Make something. My daughter ran a week long camp at an 18th century site. The kids made brick. Really--mud and straw, packed into molds. Kids brought their own lunch, got filthy and had fun. At the end of the day, she turned a hose on them and their mamas picked them up. Eventually the brick were fired and a walk laid.
      Last edited by Spinster; 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
      X