Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid Brass Confederate I Button

Gents-

A while back I raised the question of who, what and when on the Confederate solid brass I button. From our discussion most of these buttons seem to be dug in the Western Theatre towards the middle to the end of the war with some exceptions and probably cast by a local manufacturer(s) in the Georgia-Alabama area.

Another area they are often encountered is in the east...especially in areas where Longstreet's boys seem to have fought/camped after returning from the Chickamauga foray.

So I have noticed some relic dealers of late have had to offer some of these buttons "found" or "dug at Gettysburg". I am certainly not trying to say this isn't possible. I just thought I would point it out to the forum as an item of interest as this is a little earlier than we had discussed before and its in the East.

See the link below.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Solid Brass Confederate I Button

Can anyone inform me where I can buy reproduction cast I buttons? I know that Hanover brass will make them for an absorbent price. But is there anybody else out there that makes them?

Weldon Svoboda

Comment

Re: Solid Brass Confederate I Button

Tim Parsely http://parsleysbrass.com/
      Jason David

Peter Pelican
      36th Illinois Co. "B"
      Prodigal Sons Mess
      Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Working...
      X