Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Leslie's Paper

Hey all,

I am currently working for my college museum on a project concerning sketches done during the war for Leslie's newspaper. We have a bunch of sketches done by artists in the field as well as the original papers with the engravings of the sketches and the related article. Part of the piece I am currently working on is transcribing all of the articles into a word document so that they can be used in a script for the audio tour. My question is: is there available text documents of Leslie's available? Instead of having to manually type ALL of the articles attached to the sketches that we have it would be much easier to simply copy and paste from another text document. I've tried surfing the internet all ready and most websites that have the documents are PDF's and I cant simply copy and paste them. So does anybody have any of the articles typed up?

Thanks a ton

Jim Taub

If you'd like information on the exhibit visit its website here: http://idesweb.bc.edu/becker/

There may be a call for a living history at some point during the exhibits time at Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA too, more will be coming later.;)
    Jim Taub
    The Western Rifles

Re: Frank Leslie's Paper

Jim,
    Don't think so, I know that a few Winslow Homer drawings that I have seen but where turned into engravings for Leslie's, aren't even attributed to him (e.g. one of prisoners inside Libby Prison). I would suspect that if a complete record of artists attributed to their works, it would be through the paper itself. However, not sure if such a record exists today. I would recommend the books The Civil War and American Art by Eleanor Jones Harvey and Civil War Drawings from the Becker Collection (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...42080656,d.eWU).

Good luck,
    Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
    X