Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coon hunting in the civil war

Originally posted by ButtermilkRanger View Post
    I don't have any documentation for tying a hound out, but I know it's been done in my family at least as far back as my great grandparents at the end of the 19th century and I hardly think they invented the practice.
    Yep, I'm thinking a generic leather collar would be easy to make, with modern registration/rabies tags concealed on the underside. Years ago, I saw a length of lightweight forge-welded(!) chain at a flea market for around $5 and wanted to buy it, but thought, what would I ever use that for? Sigh. Need to hit the junk shops.

I can document dogs being tied or chained as guard dogs or to keep them home, and at least "kenneled" or "confined" to make them enthusiastic to track. Dog chains were even sold commercially. Link to ad listing. Those reasons would work if prearranged for an event, but not so good as a stand-alone impression. What's being guarded? What are we waiting to track?

Originally posted by faabala View Post
    A possible premise to be near camp could be searching for the lost hound. Of course that might set you up for suspicion of spying. Soldiers were know for picking up stray dogs.
    That would work, except why don't I just leave as soon as I find her? Hmm... I guess I could be stopping overnight on my way somewhere, or on my way back from somewhere, that's reasonably connected to the time and place being depicted, with the dog tied up so she doesn't run off, and that would explain why we're not home but not connected to anyone else, but not doing anything either, and would also give me something to talk about. Though it would be a long stop-over.

Larry (and anyone else), since you know about coonhound breeds, could you (or anyone) take a look at this photo and see what a knowledgeable person would say about her and if she'd resemble a period type? She's 20" at the shoulder. I don't want to be caught by surprise by a visitor pointing out she's clearly a Farbhound mix, first imported to the US in 1972, or something like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	venus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	223899.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

I may recommend 'Bathed in Blood: Hunting and Mastery in the Old South' by Nicolas Proctor (2002) for some good reading about antebellum hunting practices, popular conceptions, the prevalence of dogs, and an excellent bibliography of period accounts and journals (some specific to horse and dog breeding and maintenance). My take away from the book was that dogs were everywhere and the boys in rank (from areas where hunting could have been undertaken) would have been very familiar with dogs and their presence would not have been an oddity, but rather a comfort and apt outlet for some sport. I for one, would love to undertake a bit of nights sport chasing a dog (or several) for 'coons, 'possum, or deer by the light of embers in a burnished skittle, off of duty of course.
      There must be some accounts of soldiers making sport when able, and with dogs if available. There would be no real need to use weapons other than stout sticks and knives, the dogs might do the quarry in anyway.
      J. Dylan Woodliff

Armory Guards
      Snake Nation Disciples

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected."- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Hank, that hound is a Plott or a Plott mix. She's not a Treeing Walker although she may have some in her somewhere. Treeing Walkers are Tri-Colored like a beagle, but about three times as large with longer ears. The Von Plott family immigrated to the Carolinas in the 19th century where they closely protected their own strain of treehound. The Plott breed is distinguished from the Blueticks, Black and Tans, Redbones, English and Walkers mostly by the brindle color (although some come in solid black and even a few buckskins) and the higher set and somewhat shorter ears. The Plott family bred their hounds from English and French breeds intermingled with some common cur strains like the Blackmouth and probably even a little Catahoula. Plotts, then as now, were pretty gritty hounds and did exceptionally well on bear. They are still the breed of choice for most bear hunters east of the Mississippi.

I don't think you'd need a premise for having a hound in camp in a civilian impression at all. A hound was by far the most common type of companion animal (in my opinion) for the rural population. They were easy to keep, extremely loyal, made great pets, excellent guard dogs without being vicious, and earned their keep by keeping food on the table. A civilian would have been as likely to have a hound for a companion animal as he would have a collie and even more so than a lab or poodle.
        Larry Morgan
        Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

As a side note... I'm not sure if you're on Facebook or not, but Patrick McAllister from the cavalry forum has an extensive collection of period photographs from the ACW and antebellum period. He has an entire section devoted strictly to pets and animals, especially dogs. There are quite a few hounds in his collection. I didn't think about it earlier, but if you can contact him, you'd probably find whatever you need regarding collars, leashes, etc. from a good primary source.

I'm not sure about other states, but we aren't required to have any modern tags on our collars here. The only tag I have is a brass nameplate on my collars in case I lose a hound. Any registrations, rabies tags, etc. I just keep put up somewhere to find in case I was to need it. Hanging tags don't tend to survive long on a hound hunting hard night after night.
          Larry Morgan
          Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Hank, that hound is a Plott or a Plott mix. She's not a Treeing Walker although she may have some in her somewhere.
            Thanks! Do you mean she's not a Tennessee Treeing Brindle? That was another possibility we weren't sure about, but I don't know enough about hounds to tell the difference, or if one even can tell the difference in a potential mix. But anyway, if she'll pass for a Plotthound mix, I figure that's good enough for a generic period hound. Have found reference to a brindle hound running deer--no further description--as far north as New York state. (Note, I'm not the original poster, who was also asking about his Walker.)

I don't think you'd need a premise for having a hound in camp in a civilian impression at all. A hound was by far the most common type of companion animal (in my opinion) for the rural population.
            So true, except... for the kind of nearby mainstream event I'd need to go to at first, to make sure she was happy and okay with it, there's rarely any premise for being in civilian camp. The obvious puzzle, "if you have nothing to do, why don't you leave?" is easily answered for soldiers--they're in the army and can't leave. For a civilian without a husband to cook for, it's harder to figure out an answer. So I figured the dog herself might give me a reason.

Wish I'd had her ready to go earlier this year, for Marmaduke's Raid!

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@gmail.com
            Hank Trent

Comment

The Treeing Tennessee Brindle is a strain of cur that has popped up as a registered breed with a couple of small registries in the last few years. From what I know of them, they have a healthy dose of Plott in them, but mostly Black Mouth Cur. Your dog could be a TN Brindle, but if she is a mix, she could sure pass for a registered Plott. I could probably tell more if I heard her bark since a hound has a more distinctive voice than a cur, but since that's not happening, I'd feel comfortable calling her a Plott.
              Larry Morgan
              Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

The Treeing Tennessee Brindle is a strain of cur that has popped up as a registered breed with a couple of small registries in the last few years. From what I know of them, they have a healthy dose of Plott in them, but mostly Black Mouth Cur. Your dog could be a TN Brindle, but if she is a mix, she could sure pass for a registered Plott. I could probably tell more if I heard her bark since a hound has a more distinctive voice than a cur, but since that's not happening, I'd feel comfortable calling her a Plott.
                Thank you so much for all your information and advice! If you listen closely, you might be able to hear her bark from where you are. :) She doesn't bark often, but when she does, it's deep and very loud.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@gmail.com
                Hank Trent

Comment

Hank, et al.

Plott, Tennessee Brindle, or some sort of mix all seem possible, although Tennessee Brindle is very probable. In addition to hounds, mixed breed dogs, or "curs", were prominent in the rural southeast.

Apparently, gray-brindle-spotted curs have been in existence in the Southeast since well before the Revolution. Many settlers/farmers relied on Curs, which included breeding characteristics for their own special specific needs.

For example, you might want to check-out any information you can on the Leopard Cur, particularly that developed by Richard McDuffy. Some tree-hunting enthusiasts have experienced the same trouble identifying the history and genealogy of such types of dogs. Mr. McDuffy and his associates tried to renew the Leopard Cur in this particular instance.
                  Here's a quote from a post located at the following address:http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/archiv...hp/t-4397.html

"By the early 20th century, the lifestyle of even the most remote mountain areas had changed enough that there was little need for the old style Leopard Dog. Few dogs of reasonable purity remained in the early 1950s. About the same time, three men, working independently, began searches through remote areas. These men, J. Richard McDuffie, Leroy E. Smith and A.W. Carter, each established breeding programs to renew this old American breed. When they met in 1959, they created the American Cur Breeders Association to foster and promote the breed. They tried to register only dogs that traced back to the origins in North Carolina."

Chuck Sprowls

Comment

A logical scenario to have a civilian man and his hunting dog (and even hunting rifle) lounging around an army camp "all day"...

If the military presence came to the area somewhat suddenly, you could have been out hunting and landed on the wrong side of the pickett... and you're cooling your heels until your status can be checked out by appropriate military personnel. Of course they came up with a leash for the dog so she didn't get into things she ought not.

If you care to associate yourself with an army, you could portray a civilian-contract wagoner who has his hound to herd "rations on the hoof." Since the army has currently made camp and you're between herds at the moment, you have her leashed so she doesn't put her nose where it doesn't belong.
                    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Working...
                    X