Grand Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Tour

I am trying to organize a tour for my son and myself of Arkansas, Louisiana Missouri, and Texas. I have put together the following list of possible museums and sites to visit but there are probably many more small museums that I am unaware of. I am particularly interested in uniforms, flags and leather (cartridge boxes, cap pouches, belts etc), are there any that you can recommend?

The Alamo
    The San Jacinto Battlefield
    Texas Civil War Museum
    Camp Mabry Texas National Guard
    Hill College
    Port Hudson
    Old Arsenal Museum
    La Military Hall-Fame & Museum
    Louisiana Military Museum
    Jackson Barracks New Orleans
    National World War II Museum
    Confederate Memorial Hall Museum
    Wilson's Creek Missouri, USA
    Pea Ridge National Military Park
    Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park
    Camp Moore Museum
    Old State House Museum
    MacArthur Museum of Arkansas Military History
    Alan Thrower
    Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
    confederateuniforms.org
    pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
    pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
    pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
    pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Re: Grand Tour

Alan,

That is quite an ambitious tour to undertake and a wonderful thing for a father and son to experience. A great selection of sites and I suggest you plan plenty of time to take in the Confederate Memorial Hall museum in N. O. It is a wonderful collection!

One other suggestion, while not technically in the states you are touring, Vicksburg, MS is right on the eastern border of MS and LA. Not sure of your path, but it is a memorable site to visit if your route allows it and was such a pivotal battle/siege.

enjoy,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

A great list of museums, and indeed ambitious. If going through Missouri and Arkansas to Texas, you could swing out here to Oklahoma. You have many museums and historic sites;
      Old Fort Gibson State Historic Site, near Muskogee, OK established in 1824, Mexican War, Civil War, Indian Wars
      Honey Springs State Battlefield, just off I-40 near Checotah, OK, unique battle of mostly Native American and Black troops from July of 1863
      45th Infantry Division Museum, Oklahoma City http://www.45thdivisionmuseum.com/index.html
      National Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City
      Oklahoma History Center, Oklahoma City
      and finally, down here at Fort Sill, OK we have the Fort Sill National Historic Landmark, the original 1869 post established by Phil Sheridan, George Custer and Ben Grierson http://sill-www.army.mil/museum/
      The US Army Field Artillery Museum http://sill-www.army.mil/famuseum/
      The US Army Air Defense Artillery Museum http://sill-www.army.mil/adamuseum/
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Alan-

I would agree with Mark about Vicksburg especially with this being the 150th Anniversary of the battles and siege. There are many memorable things to see while there but one of my personal favorites is the USS Cairo. Many people forget it's located there.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I would add the following from Louisiana.

Louisiana State Museum in Baton Rouge, LA (Has Kirby Smith's Uniform, a Confederate Submarine recovered from Lake Pontchartrain and other Officer's Uniforms)

Mansfield State Historic Site in Mansfield, LA (Has an original Confederate Uniform which I believe was domestically produced as opposed to something from a depot and assorted swords, firearms and personal belongings from the War)
          David Worsham

Comment

While at San Jacinto, do not fail to tour the U.S.S. Texas. It's a bit out the the era, but this battleship's keel was laid down in 1911 I believe and she's the last of her kind. Usually, the guides are men who actually served on her, during WWII. A unique opportunity.
            Andy Redd
            Andy Redd

Comment

Working...
            X