Use of original firearms at events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of original firearms at events

I'm not sure this is exactly where this belongs, but I'll put it here with faith that the moderators will find the right locale.

What is the current thinking on use of original firearms in reenacting? I have several and have seldom used them under the theory that they have had their day, served their purposes, and I only trot them out at living histories where no firing is involved. I have no real safety concerns because all are in fire-able condition insofar as I can tell. The barrels and actions are all sound. I guess I'm subject to changing my mind and using them to shoot.
    I know some parks have rules forbidding use of same, but rules at parks are specious. Nevertheless, they are in charge at some events, so we must abide by their rules just because.

What's your opinion on this?
    David Culberson
    The Rowdy Pards

Re: Use of original firearms at events

I'll share my thoughts on this.

First off, if the weapon appears to be an original (i.e. it looks as though it is an antique) then it certainly won't have the appearance of a weapon manufactured in the past few years, and seeing active service in the Military (yes..I know....the many hundreds of thousands of Model 1816s that were modified, and saw service in the first year or two, even though they were 20-40 years old... but I have to ask: How many appeared to be over 100+ years old?).

Second, if the weapon is an original (of which there are fewer and fewer each year) why risk damaging it when there are other de-farbed weapons available that can be replaced or repaired. An original weapn, if damaged would likely result in diminishing it's historical (not to mention it's monetary) value.

For static displays, living history presentations at schools, etc. I think using an original weapon would be a plus. But using it an EFUBU or other Battle Reenactment? Hmmm... I don't know. If it were me, I'd have to consider the points I mention above, before I'd take the original weapon to the event.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

All the muskets and pistols that I own are original or made from original parts. Granted I only do living histories and the musket I use most often is a 1861 Springfield that has been built up from a musket that was altered from its original form (cutdown). Therefore I feel that it has lost its collectors value and its historical signifigance. However I would discourage anybody from using original firearms for sham battles as there is the potential of allot of wear and tear on an piece of steel 140+ years old. Allot can happen even in the most carfull of hands. Case in point, one of my pards destroyed an original Spencer carbine in a fall from his horse back in the early 90s. So IMO if you do "battle" events use a repro or a rebuilt piece and leave the complete original for living histories.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Were I fortunate enough to own a firearm original to the period of the Civil War (which I sadly do not :( ), I would be very hesitant to bring it to an event because of the possibility of damage. I would hate to see my antique piece suffer harm at a reenactment. However, I've known some excellent living historians who routinely used their antique weapons for reenacting. I guess that on this point it all comes down to the comfort level of the owner of the musket.
        Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
        Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Learn from my mistake ... 'Way back when I was just a pup, the only musket I had was an original 1863-dated Norwich contract. I used it in the early 70's in the NSSA for live fire and had had it checked out by a gunsmith. It had passed other various safety checks, too. I sometimes carried it at living history events. At a 4th of July parade where we were shooting blanks, I remember firing it and the next thing I knew it had jumped out of my hands. Apparently, there was enough power in that blank charge to strip the threads from the cone, force back the hammer, and create a sizeable jet of flame next to my face. I instinctively dropped the musket onto the asphalt, but wasn't hurt and neither was anyone else. The musket was, though. I still have the musket, complete with scratches and gouges from the pavement. The cone just sits in the bolster. Every time I look at it I say to myself, "If I could only do it over ..." Bottom line, just because it seems OK to use, that's not a guarantee.
          James Brenner

Comment

I use remade original firearms for most reenactments. I have found model 16's, 42's and 61's that were cut down or just in pieces and restored them. I don't see that I am abusing an historic object rather I have restored something that has character like initials in the stock. In a lot of cases these cut-off muskets would have been torn apart for parts and basically lost forever. When the barrel length is restored they put a modern steel liner sleeve in and I can't see where there is any danger particularly in shooting blanks once this is done. If you can find a "junker" as they're often called at a reasonable price then you can put two or three hundred more dollars in it to return it to use for not much more than what you would pay for an Italian made one. Then the repro needs a whole lot of work to make it look like what you already have.

Dave, you must sign all of your posts with your full name - Mike Chapman
            Last edited by dusty27; 03-19-2004, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I have an original french 1822 musket and matching bayonet that I have taken out to many events, the only resulting effect was that they became cleaner and more preserved thatnks to the many cleanings and oilings I have put it through. considering I don't do tons of events, it sees maybee a grand total of a week and a half of service each year. It is far lighter and much easier to carry than my repros and it doesn't become a dog after long marches. someone before cleaned off what little rust there was so it looks about like what it di in '61-'62 when it was allready 40 some odd years old, and had survived a trip across the ocean blue. I don't want a statik display, I want a functional musket, and that's what I've got.

It is mostly a matter of personal oppinion, but I enjoy playing with my baby.
              Last edited by rebyank; 03-20-2004, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I have an original Austrian Lorenz, that has been fully checked by myself and a competant gun smith. For safety we intstalled a new cone. It is not in perfect condition, as at some point in its life, someone took a sanding disk to the wrist/cheekpiece area of the stock and left some visible swirl marks and a small gouge or two. Thats been cleaned up, the finish matched, and the metal all cleaned up. That being said, I don't want a wall hanger or something I can only sit and stare at. To me, it is no fun having something that cannot be used. I fully intend to use this and the its original bayonet for living histories and other appropriate scenarios.
                Paul Manzo
                Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

I too have an original I use and you BET YOUR LIFE I TAKE CARE OF IT!!! I learned the hard way from my dad (a former Marine) when I owned a repro Richmond to clean it when I was done!!! Now I do this to my 1816.

Am I concerned about it's well-being: Yes, which is why I take care of it and hope to have a repro stock and retire the original one. When I decided to have a flint version for this weapon, I made sure it was with repro parts (pictured in the Image Gallery) and that the barrel was from "old, not much use anymore" items.

I feel if the steel is well cared for and cleaned and replaced with good repro's when possible... it is okay. The wood is another story... with me trying to one day secure a good stock. Stocks are where I feel originals can see the most immediate abuse from.

Just my 2 bits worth,

Jim Ross
                  James Ross

Comment

Working...
                  X