Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave It As Is...or Fix It-Part 2

Gents-

Sometime ago in the month of July 2012 I had posted here seeking the opinion of this forum as to whether it would be better to leave a Civil War era bench rifle as is or fix it. The rifle in its than condition was in very rough shape as the pictures will attest. And I can assure you it was worse in person. The hard reality was that if something were not done to stabilize the wood and make some repairs the gun was not worth keeping.

I was leaning in the direction of making repairs and many on this forum thought the same way. I did not intend to do much from there but shortly thereafter I was sent a PM by our very own Mark Latham. Mark thought the rifle was a good candidate for a restoration and after many emails and a couple of phone calls we hammered out a plan. The rifle would be put back together using original parts whenever possible and the patina to the wood and metal would be maintained.

To say I was nervous about proceeding when it finally came time to ship it would be an understatement. The rifle made it to Mark and he kept me informed as the work progressed. Not only was I kept informed but Mark did some research on the maker of the gun. The gun had been assembled by Ottawa, Illinois gun maker/smith Henry Brunker from parts he ordered back east in New York. Including the gun barrel that was manufactured by Remington. Not only that but Mark was able to narrow down the date the gun was made to about 1855-56 which fit in nicely with the family history...for once :)

Anyway the rifle has been returned to me and I just wanted to share the results. I think the before and after pictures give a pretty good idea of how much work was done. The gun has been very sympathetically repaired and is a real show piece. The lock was missing, the wedge was gone, the ramrod was m.i.a. and the overall condition of the wood was dangerously weak. Whether you agree in repairing or leaving a gun as is I don't think anyone can disagree Mark Latham did an awesome job! Thanks again Mark!
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Leave It As Is...or Fix It-Part 2

I've known Mark for many years and you chose the right man for the job. He's a real artist as well as one of the nicest guys in the hobby. Not at all surprised with the results.
    Paul Manzo
    Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Louis, Paul...

Thank you for the kind words, I am fortunate enough to have a great teacher.

I had no idea who Henry Brunker was before this, so learning was part of the allure of taking this on.

The added fact that this rifle meant so much to Louis, and that he is pleased with my work means a lot to me.

Best Regards,
      Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Hallo!

Brunker is representative of dozens or hundreds of gunsmiths/gun makers many times found in small towns supporting the local population's gun needs.

TYpically, they had come to replace the old colonial gunmaker who prior to the Industrial Revolution hand forged and made everything himself as the old saying goes.. "lock, stock, and barrel" not to mention the furniture, screws, and sundry parts added to a stock made from a plank.

With the rise of industry that type of maker declined and was largely replaced by the local gunmaker who served as gunsmith but also may have supplied target, squirrel, and deer rifles or shotguns by ordering the various "pre-made" component parts and assembling or "stocking" them to make a finished gun much the same way most all 19th or 18th century custom repro gunmakers do today.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X