Sweet Potato "coffee" experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato "coffee" experiment

Tried making sweet potatoes into a coffee substitute this evening and was pleased at the results.

Diced fine 2 large sweet potatoes and oven roasted them until mostly dry and about half the pieces were browned. (The original articles suggested to dry them in the sun or by a fire. I hope you excuse the use of kitchen appliances for my first go-round.)

Finished roasting to a dark brown in a pan, stirring frequently. Put the pieces up in a handy poke sack and ground the potatoes further.

6 heaping tablespoons of the roasted grounds to 4 cups of boiling water, steeping for 6-7 minutes, yielded a dark brew, naturally sweet, and quite tasty. I'd use a bit more grounds next time for additional strength.

It's not coffee, and it wouldn't keep you awake for the 3am guard shift, but I can certainly see why using sweet potatoes was recommended by so many newspapers during the war (see http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/coffee.htm)

Definitely keeping a poke sack of the stuff in my haversack as appropriate to the scenario.

Note: Those two potatoes yielded enough grounds for at least 10 cups of brew.
    Steve Pelikan
    WA state
    Yes, I sewed/knitted that.

With respect and admiration
    Pvt. Paul Dumphy
    Co. B, 31st Missouri (US)

Re: Sweet Potato "coffee" experiment

This is very interesting and something that I will have to take a look into. A question though, when you oven roasted them, about how long did that take and what was the temperature of the oven?
    Respectfully,
    Joel Barnes
    VMI Class of 2009

"Why do men fight who were born to be brothers?" -James Longstreet

Comment

Steve is there any kind of caffeine in this?
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Roasted at 350F for the first 45 minutes, but noticed the smaller pieces were getting really dark, while the larger ones weren't drying enough. Dropped to 300F for another 30 minutes.

Next time, I'll make sure the pieces are cut smaller, and more uniformly, and then roast at 300 for more even drying.

And sorry, no caffeine. It'd make a good extender for real coffee, though, which would have caffeine.
        Steve Pelikan
        WA state

Pvt. Paul Dumphy

Comment

I did this more than 10 years ago. Tiny diced sweet potatoes, and baked in the over around 250 until done.

The "coffee" wasn't that bad, but would have benefitted from mixing with the real stuff.
          Robert Carter
          69th NYSV, Co. A
          justrobnj@gmail.com
          www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

I've been making this for awhile. Really suprised at the taste. Not what I expected. I add one more step. After a few hours in the oven, I put the diced sweet potatoes in a skillet to finish the drying and darken them up. Then I grind it fine.

Gordon Morey
            Gordon Morey
            4th U.S. Infantry, Co. E
            AK Living History Battalion
            Queen City #761

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	25JUL11 MoC 036 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	223817 Here is the recipe for sweet potato coffee that is on display in the MOC.
              Tyler Underwood
              Pawleys Island #409 AFM
              Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Just curious--does the MOC give any date/place/context for the instructions/recipe?

(Not at all trying to disprove or disparage the recipe here--not at ALL!)
                Steve Pelikan
                WA state

Pvt. Paul Dumphy

Comment

Steve, IIRC the recipe was written in 64.
                  Tyler Underwood
                  Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                  Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X