Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Gardner Type Canteens Found

Gents-

I thought I would share this as I recall there was a dicussion fairly recently here about Gardner canteens and different things about them. So when I saw this relic dealer had two that are supposedly newly found and had never been issued and in pristine condition I figured there maybe some interest.

According to the dealer there is going to be an article in the NSTCW about these two canteens and the other dozen or so that were found in a Georgia warehouse.

Anyway follow the link and pan down.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Confederate Gardner Type Canteens Found

Louis, I wonder why photos were not taken at the time of the find, and they don't accompany these "Gems" if in fact they were packed away in a separate crate in rags and newspapers? I have many question's, why not include the newspapers/rags they were packed and wrapped as part of the deal? wouldn't the other 12 be in the same condition if they were all stored together? who made the discovery? what location in Georgia and what warehouse? Guess I will have to wait and read the article when it is released..I'm not in TOTAL Doubt, I would like a bit more info before I would drop $3250 on one !!
    Just My Thoughts.....
    Chad Phillips
    Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

Excellent points Chad.

I found the offering for the canteens while browsing the internet over lunch myself. The possibility of 14 Confederate canteens sitting in a Georgia warehouse unissued for 150 years is hard to wrap a person's mind around.

I do believe in one of the pictures you can see an issue of Harpers Weekly crumpled up closeby. Wether it was part of the packaging or put there as a prop is anyone's guess.

I believe the NSTCW article if I reread the sales information again correctly actually has already come out...last issue.

Does anyone here on the forum have the issue and have more information on these bad boys?
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

You can buy Vol 37, No. 1, 2013 of North South Trader's CIVIL WAR to get the article. Lots of pictures. Good article for canteens but even better for you wooden box freaks out there. The canteens were in a period shipping box and the article goes into some of the CS shipping methods of the time.

The magazine they appear in caters to relic hunters and is often overlooked by reenactors. Want to see original gear and learn from the best collectors in the field? Subscribe or you can buy this one issue from their website.

BTW, I don't get a free subscription for this endorsement but they do have some great articles.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cumpston1862 View Post
          I do believe in one of the pictures you can see an issue of Harpers Weekly crumpled up closeby. Wether it was part of the packaging or put there as a prop is anyone's guess.
          For what it's worth, the Harper's Weekly appears to be the April 12, 1862 issue, shown here:
          General Buell and other Civil War Resources, including General Shields

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@gmail.com
          Hank Trent

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	NS Trader.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	223805 I don't think the Trader would mind my posting a scan of the cover as a tease for the article on the canteens. The box they were in can be seen in the picture. Moderator please remove this post if I violated any copyright or forum policies.
            Past issues have had articles on CS wood canteens, US CW bayonets and English Snake buckles. An upcoming issue will have the article on CS bayonets.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
            X