Questions About Restoring M1863 Springfield, Type I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions About Restoring M1863 Springfield, Type I

I've got an original M1863 Springfield Type I (screw bands) that I'd like to restore. It was obviously used as a skirmish weapon at some point because the barrel has been relined. Unfortunately this was accomplished by chopping off the last few inches of the breech -- including the bolster -- and installing a new one. The new breech is functional but has a clean-out screw and isn't marked with an eagle on the bolster. It also doesn't fit the lockplate correctly and there is a metal shim between the bolster and the barrel to fill the gap.

I'd like to restore this rifle musket to its original configuration. Obviously an original barrel would work but I haven't had any luck locating one to date. Another option is a new Whitacre barrel. Are there any other options that might be less expensive, such as having someone replace the breech on the current barrel? It would be nice to keep the original barrel if possible as it matches the appearance of the rest of the piece.

If this isn't possible, does the current barrel have resale value that might help me offset the cost of a replacement? For that matter, what would the current barrel fit? It has the appearance of a M1861 barrel but I thought the lockplate profile was the same as a Model 1863?

I know I have a lot of questions but I'm hoping some of the small arms experts here on the board might be able to share some of their knowledge. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Bill Reagan
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy.

Re: Questions About Restoring M1863 Springfield, Type I

Mark Latham of this forum might be able to help you with many of these questions.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Hallo!

You have already answered part of your questions...

Original barrels fall under the condition/condition/condition, and local versus regional market values. So, outside of a rare on-line find or now even rarer garage sale or antique shop with an unknowing but ungreedy owner....

:(

The original barrel I saw with good outsides and decent bore was $500.

IMHO, a or the problem with your barrel is the semi-bogus but functional breech section replacement (Numrich IIRC). That "kills" its value except may be for an N-SSA shooter and then that would depend upon the rifling.
      It might be of interest to a barrel maker or lad who would attempt to replace the breech with an original breech section that would restore it, but also could be disguised to get by the visual damage caused by the repro breech section figuration.

That is also an option for you to consider a repro breech section such as the proto-typical Yeck castings, etc., etc., remounted and restored to your barrel.
      You would have to ask barrel maker and judge the "cost effectiveness" of a replacement repro barrel versus a repro breech on your original barrel.

Finding an original barrel in a condition matching your gun's metal is likely to be hard and costly.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Lodgewood would be a likely source, tho' not cheap. A not-so-swell M.1863 barrel, which I believe to have been full length, just sold on eBay earlier this week. If you or a buddy were able to go to the North-South Spring skirmish at Winchester, Virginia later this month, Sutlers' Row would very likely yield results.
        David Fox

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. Looks like my options are to get an entirely new barrel or to look into having a correct breech put on the existing barrel. The rifling does appear to be strong.

Just to be clear, the existing breech is a Numrich arms part? I tried searching their catalog but couldn't turn up anything. Maybe I just don't know the correct nomenclature.
          Bill Reagan
          23rd Reg't
          Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Hallo!

I strongly believe, suspect so.

But, I have not kept on, or followed the history of the Numrich "patent type" breech sections. Once Upon a Time, outside of originals, say back in the 1970's and largely among N-SSA lads. When Mike Yeck came out with his cast breech section for his M1861, "M1862 Richmond," and M1863 they quickly replaced the inferior but functional Numrich one through the progression of barrel makers at that time, and copies of the Yeck were still being used in the 1990's.

In theory an Italian repro might could be used, maybe, but they do NOT fit as they are oversized, bulky, and typically have a different shaped tang. In theory, maybe, one could be taken down, reworked, reshaped, recontoured, and the breech plug replaced. And then visit the mis-fit of the bolster to the lockplate...

Naw, thinking about it sounds Frankensteinish if not so challenging as to be cost and time prohibitive IF it COULD be done.

Curt

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks again! This is helpful information. I might just try to go to Fort Shenandoah this weekend and talk to some of the gunsmiths there.
              Bill Reagan
              23rd Reg't
              Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Working...
              X