Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• places to visit for tour

Comrades,
    wer are trouring PA, Md and VA for about 8-9 days in June July. I am aware of the well known places like Gettysburg, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, Richmond, Appomattox , Pamplin Park etc. Fredericksburg and Mannassas I was wondering if there are any other really interesting "secret tips" places to visit on the tour. I have been to the last time in 2003.
    Do you have any suggestions lying on the way?
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Re: places to visit for tour

If you go far enough south to see whats left of The Crater @ Petersburg Battlefield or Pamplin Park, on your way back up the highway towards Richmond, stop by Drewry's Bluff. The view alone is worth the stop. Just to give you an idea on time, my wife and I did Pamplin Park museum, P-burg Battlefield, & Drewry's Bluff in 1 day. We left Richmond in the morning, drove down 40 min. to Pamplin, and were back in Richmond in time for dinner.
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Not Civil War era but Colonial Williamsburg. It's about an hour east of Richmond.
      Kenny Pavia
      24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by KPavia View Post
        Not Civil War era but Colonial Williamsburg. It's about an hour east of Richmond.
        I would suggest Williamsburg also, not far from there is Jamestown.

The USMC museum at Quantico, VA is well worth stopping at and it is free. I visited there in April and was very impressed with the museum. Link to a review of their Civil War section.

Yesterday I paid a visit to the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Triangle, Virginia (that’s the official address, but it is outside Quantico). The museum allocates over two-thirds of av…
        Jim Kindred

Comment

North Anna battlefield is nice stop on the unbeaten path.

White Oak Museum, a few miles west of Fredericksburg, is awesome.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

When in the vicinity of Manassas, I would recommend striking out northwest, through Millwood, toward Winchester, then turning southwest in Winchester and going by Cedar Creek and New Market. The drive is absolutely gorgeous, and it takes you through the heart of the Valley Campaigns of '62 and '64.
            Joe Knight

Armory Guards
            Yocona Rip Raps
            "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Balls Bluff Battlefield is off the beaten path near Leesburg...to get to it you actually have to drive through a development. However, the heart of the battlefield is still intact, recently restored back to 1861 and there is a small cemetery, mostly unknowns.

The requested page could not be found. Please see our sitemap.
              Robert Pardi
              71st PVI, Co. K

Comment

Seeing what is left of the crater and how close the lines were is worth the trip and short walk. I liked seeing City Point even if there is not much left. The view is great. The Jackson Shrine is a must and thats coming from a dyed in blue western Federal.
                Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                Civil War Digital Digest
                Sally Port Mess

Comment

+1 for the White Oak Museum!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Monocacy Battlefield is worth a drop by before or after Antietam. The Smithsonian in D.C. of course and for an interesting quick look, check out the Army Navy Club in DC - a fantastic set of Corps Badges used to be in the main lobby area.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Jan, Lexington Virginia maybe further than you want to travel, but I believe it is a great place to visit when in Virginia and looking for Civil War sites.during Virginia Military Institute, Washington Lee college Stonewall Jackson's home and his grave, are just some of the highlights.
                      Rod Miller
                      [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                      A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                      1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                      1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                      1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                      1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                      Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                      1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                      Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

In the Gettysburg area is the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, PA and in Carlisle, PA is the Army History/heritage Education Center.
                        Frank Siltman
                        24th Mo Vol Inf
                        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                        Company of Military Historians
                        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Museum of the Confederacy - almost forgot that one...oops, and the Newport News Museum of History (uniforms and stuff).
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

+1 on North Anna, went there for the first time earlier this year and was blown away. When in the Wilderness, Spotsylvania area, be sure to check out Payne's Farm as well.
                            Jeff Felton
                            [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Liberty Rifles
                            CWPT[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                            [URL="http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/"]http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Comment

With your limited time, I would not try for more than 2 battlefields, after that they all look the same. I would try to see Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson. I agree with above post, I would try to see Williamsburg. I would also try to make Lexington, VA, there you could see Washington and Lee University (where General Lee and his horse is buried) and VMI is also nearby. If your near Richmond, let me know, an old dear friend/ Army buddy, lives there, he is the GGGrandson of COL John S. Mosby, "The Gray Ghost", he can give you a great tour of the Museum of the Confederacy, he worked there for several years. Just a few ideas.

Haben ein Wunder Reise.
                              Last edited by Dale Beasley; 06-02-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X