This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove years of rust build up within a canteen

Folks, I hope this is the right place for my query...

So I have inherited a very nice Federal smooth side canteen from my wife's grandfather. By all appearances it appears to be tin. Problem is he hasn't reenacted in at least 10 years and it has been sitting on a shelf at this house. When I popped the cork to check out the interior frosted flake sized hunks of rust fell out. I am assuming the entire interior is equally rusty. Not having a bore light or small enough flash light I can not peer inside to be sure.

My question is is it salvageable? Besides salt and ice cubes (from cleaning coffee pots in my younger restaurant days) I know not of a good way to clean the interior.

I beseech the forum for advice!
    bob
    Bob Martin
    Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
    sigpic

Re: How to remove years of rust build up within a canteen

Salvage may be questionable. Some of that rust might be covering up potential pin-holes. Other methods used for rust removal have included sand, shot, walnut shell and a lot of agitation. The next is stabilizing. Is your intent to use it or arrest the rust?
    Mike Stein
    Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Bob, if you want to use it, forget about it and get a hot dipped tin canteen from Axel Ulrich. Those are the best available. If you want to prevent the rust from getting worse you coudl simply pour some boiled linseed oil in it and let it dry.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Canteens are essentially disposable items. No matter how well you maintain one eventually they are going to rust. Don't look at a canteen as an item you will only buy once in reenacting.
        Jim Kindred

Comment

Buy a new one would be my first choice. Next denture cleaning tablets, followed by CLR or some other rust removing product, then another treatment with denture cleaning tablets. Since the rust has started, it's going to be nearly impossible to stop. See chioce 1. You should at least be able to salvage the cover, cork, (chain) and sling. There's something to be said for that.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Like I said on Facebook, if you use Oxyclean and BBs it will knock anything out. I've used it cleaning WWII canteens before and have since used the same method on CW stuff
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Fill it with EvapoRust. This stuff is amazing!
              Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

I agree that restoring this canteen is not likely, but to remove the rust I would fill it with apple or white viniger for a few days. Please keep in mind that whatever you do may very well open up holes where the rust has thinned the tin.What ever method you use this is very likely to be the case. Good luck.. plm
                Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

I derusted practically my entire 1942 Harley with a molassas bath. Just mix up a cup of molassas and pour in the canteen, fill with hot water and leave it for a week or two. Use soap and hot water to rinse out the sludge and presto no more rust.
                  David H. Thomas
                  Starr's NC Battery
                  Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Working...
                  X