60th Mass. Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60th Mass. Infantry

Is there anyone out there that can give any guidance as to the corp designation of the 60th MA? My GGGrandfather served with them (90 Day Regiment from July to November 1864, saw no action) and I was looking to get uniform information as well as what Corp, etc they would have been with? I had a friend of mine do some research on my GGGrandfather for me, but was looking for this additional information too

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sincerely,
    Last edited by robwall1861; 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: 60th Mass. Infantry

Robert,

It doesn't look like they were attached to any particular corps, spending most of their enlistment guarding prisoners in Indiana. What was your relatives name? Many of these 100 day regiments like the 60th were mostly composed of men who had already served an enlistment earlier in the war.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Timothy Conroy, Co. D....out of Fall River/Franklin, MA
      Robert F. Wallace
      38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
      North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Gents-

I have been looking around and the information I have been able to find about the 60th Mass. is limited at best. And I can not find any mention of any Corps assignment.

Which got me to thinking if they were a 100 day regiment perhaps they were not assigned a Corps because of their short term of service. I decided to check the Iowa 100 day regiments and see if any of them were assigned to a Corps. As this may have been the policy of the army to not not assign any 100 regiments to a Corps. Iowa furnished four 100 day regiments and one battalion (44th, 45th, 46th, 47th Regiments and the 48th Battalion). In looking through their brief histories I was starting to believe that they were not assigned to a particular Corps either...then... I found in the 47th Iowa Infantry historical sketch contained in the "Roster & Record of Iowa Troops in the Rebellion-Volume 5" this line.
        "Immediately after its muster into the service the regiment received orders to proceed to

Helena. Ark., and was conveyed to that place, where it was assigned to garrison duty. It was

attached to the Seventh Army Corps, Department of Arkansas"

I don't know if this means all 100 day regiments were assigned to a Corps but it does appear that some did get that designation.
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Working...
        X