Civil War EOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War EOD

I have been reading a lot about the operations around Charleston and Savannah lately and was wondering if anyone knew of or had any details on an organized mine/torpedo disposal force during the war? If not does anyone know if it was primarily engineers or if there were any kinds of manuals on rendering ordnance safe?

Thanks,

Coby Treadway
    Coby J. Treadway
    Tramp Brigade Mess
    Liberty Rifles

Re: Civil War EOD

Per Major Nichols, Aide-de-Camp to General Sherman, dated December 9th, 1864, approaching Savannah:

"The Rebel prisoners were marched over the road, and removed ten of these treacherous, death-dealing instruments [after 8 U.S. Army personnel were wounded by an IED buried in the road]"

Page 86. The Story of the Great March, Brevet Major George Nichols

Robert Broadwater
    NPS Volunteer

Comment

In "When the Smoke Cleared At Gettysbrug" we read that the Army was paying money for returned shells. Several boys were severely injured because they picked up a shell that wasn't as "dud" as it seemed and exploded.
      -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Farmers, to this date, are still hitting active ordinance, all over the East.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

It seems from what I have been reading that there was no real organized military force tasked with ordnance disposal. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

Coby Treadway
          Coby J. Treadway
          Tramp Brigade Mess
          Liberty Rifles

Comment

Get ahold of Greg Hagge he is the curator of Arms and Armor for the U.S Army Ordnance museum now at Fort Lee. I used to work with him he can probably get some info for you as far as the Ordnance Dept. was concerned. He has been a treasure of useless information I mean that jokingly! When him and I worked together he would get emails wanting him to identify stuff being dredged out of the Savannah River. He will be able to guide you in the right direction.
            Mike Brase
            Mike Brase
            Proprietor
            M.B. Young and Co.
            One of THEM!
            Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
            X