Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverlet

Hello all,

Looking at coverlets from several venders and I ran across some at Sutler of Fort Scott. I have tried finding period patterns similar, but haven't had any luck. Anyway I'm interested in your thoughts about the coverlet.... Looking at some from South Union Mills, but was curious if this one would be acceptable.

Mods, I tried to post this in the 'other vender discussion' folder, but it would not let me access the page to post???? Please move this to the correct folder if necessary.

Thanks,
    Hunter DeBruhl
    25th NCT/ 14th IA
    Carolina Legion
    Member, Civil War Trust

Re: Coverlet

It is accurate, but I wonder about the fringe in the field. I have several South Union Mills coverlets that hold up well. A little priceier, though. And I buy from Old Ft Scott often. Another very excellent choice is the ingrain carpet blanket. I have two of these.
    Robert Orrand
    N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
    Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
    4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Personally, I'm not too keen on the looks of that one. Take some time looking at originals in antique shops and in books and pay attention to colors and designs. Athough they are calling it a Jacquard coverlet...it is not. It looks like it is trying to be an overshot weave coverlet...an entirely different beast. The light blue scheme on that repro isn't common on original overshot weave coverlets IMO. You will also find that most overshot coverlets are wool and cotton or wool and linen, not commonly all cotton, and are almost always woven in two sections and hand sewn together. Again, period double weave or Jacquard coverlets are another beast altogether.
      Paul McKee

Comment

In reviewing extant originals, the great preponderance are cotton/wool or linen/wool combinations.

An all cotton coverlet will prove to be impractical in the field, heavy when wet, slow to dry, and with poor insulating value.

If one is searching for lightweight summer cover, take a page from the Workwoman's Guide and make a 100% linen bed sheet-it will dry easily when wet and prove to be sturdy and lightweight. While more of a 'hospital' item, a fastidious man would have found it useful
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

To add a little to what has been said, as a business owner dealing with blankets and coverlets, I have the opportunity to purchase these type of coverlets (all cotton) very often for very good price points. However, I rarely do because they are not as useful in the field as a product that contains wool. The properties of wool, retaining warmth when damp, and strength of weave it provides makes a superior product when it comes to coverlets. I would estimate at least 99% of the coverlets I've seen are mixtures of wool and something...linen or cotton. Most from this period were wool and cotton. Any reproduction wool and cotton or linen coverlet can be offered at probably half the price or less if it is done in all cotton. It is not commonly known by the consumer, but much of the wool used today is from Chinese sources. The wool in our coverlets and blankets comes from completely USA organically grown sources...and in our Tennessee Coverlets, Pea Ridge Blankets, and Monk's Belt Coverlets, the wool comes from the farm that owns the sheep and shears them! This, sadly, is not cheap. But, I want to offer the most authentic goods at the best possible price and feel that we are able to do that.

Price isn't always everything, and we often "get what we pay for" as far as use. That goes for everything in this hobby, and is not anything negative about the Sutler at Fort Scott or their products. They offer great items at great prices, but an all cotton throw is just that, a lightweight covering that is not in the same league as wool and cotton coverlets and shouldn't be compared when it comes to prices.

Just some FYI that I thought might be interesting....have a great weekend!
          Last edited by Utley; 09-15-2013, 12:14 AM.
          Chris Utley
          South Union Mills
          [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
          [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Thanks to all for your input. While it appears the coverlet would work, everyone helped confirm my concerns in regards to it's feasibility and long term use in the field. It looks like one of Mr. Utley's coverlets will be put at the top of my "to buy" list......

Thanks again,
            Hunter DeBruhl
            25th NCT/ 14th IA
            Carolina Legion
            Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Working...
            X